cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High PC RAM usage after updating from 4.18

RMoli.3
Associate III

I am trying to update from 4.18 to 4.21 to use the new features of the 4.21 release. I find myself unable to use the 4.21 touchgfx designer due to infinte high RAM usage.

• With 4.18 touchgfx my project uses around 700MB and raises to 900MB when switching trought the screens.
  • With 4.21, toucghfx my project uses around 1GB and raises around +1GB everytime I switch between the screens. This means that after switching a couple times of selected screen it is already using +7GB of RAM. The RAM usage keeps increasing until it crashes.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour?

I am using a STM32F7676

12 REPLIES 12
Osman SOYKURT
ST Employee

Hello RMoli.3,

That's strange indeed. Can you provide us more context info, like which version of Windows do you use ? Is it the first time you launched TouchGFX Designer 4.21.0 ? What happens if you create a project in TouchGFX Designer 4.21.0 from scratch ? Can you send us you log files ? (C:\Users\YOUR_USE_NAME\AppData\Roaming\TouchGFX-4.21.0\TouchGFXDesigner.log)

/Osman

Osman SOYKURT
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX
VAnti.1
Associate

I have this problem as well, with 4.20. It seems the memory is not released at any point, eventually causing the program to use pagefile and slowing to a halt.

I have also migrated my project from 4.18. I tried to make a small project from scratch and did not experience the issue, although it could be that the amount of memory used by the 2 screens I created is simply not noticeable enough.

I upload the requested file @Osman SOYKURT​ 

Osman SOYKURT
ST Employee

Hello RMoli.3,

We are working now for a patch release that will be available very soon in which we will have this issue fixed. I'll keep you updated about this new release, it will happen soon ;)

/Osman

Osman SOYKURT
Osman SOYKURT
ST Employee

Hello RMoli.3 and VAnti.1,

We have fixed this issue in the new version ��

/Osman

Osman SOYKURT

Hi @Osman SOYKURT​ ,

Great to see such a quick fixes/response to users' requests. Thank you !

I have checked the new 4.21.1 version and even thought it is stated as fixed in the Changelog the issue is still present. I have to say it has improved. Previously with few screen changes it was around +9 of RAM. Currently it takes longer but it is still unusable and cannot update. In any case I greatly appreaciate the feedback from the touchgfx team.

ferro
Senior II

I created a simulation project in 4.21.1: 2 screens (550MB of RAM). So far I do not observe any memory usage increase when switching between screens. I use Win10 Business v10.0.19045

RMoli.3
Associate III

Just to clarify. With the patch update it seems that the infinite RAM usage is fixed. However, when changing between complex screens the amount of RAM usage peaks at high amount of RAM (+3GB) and then falls back (I supose it now correctly frees the memory) to a more normal aroun 1GB usage. This peak makes the whole computer (with my setup) not responsive for around +20sec.

With touchFX 4.18 the time between screen swaps is basically none. My current project has a fair amount of screens thus these peaks have a great impact on my productivity and is not and option.