cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardfault error (STM32F746G) when generating project with cubeMx

Zui
Senior

Hello

i'm using STM32F746G with touchGfx and keil for a project. i have a working empty project (a blank screen with a button). but when i regenerate the project with cubeMX checking the option :"generate peripheral initialization as a pair of '.c/.h/' files per peripheral" i get HardFault Handler. My keil caller stack say is caused by: touchgfx_init ->setLanguage ->hardFault_Handler

28 REPLIES 28
allard
Senior

I've got the same kind of problem using Keil. I've done the following:

• Create a project using the old 4.16 version of TouchGFX
  • Decided the update to 4.17, the project upgraded without problems
  • Open project in cube (latest version 6.1.2), select Keil V5 instead of CubeIDE (initially with "Generate peripheral initialization as a pair of .c/.h files" enabled), regenerate project
  • Open in TouchGFX designer again, generate files
  • Open in Keil, compile, set ext memory configuration in debugger window, using STM32F746G DISCOVERY as board.
  • Debug -> hard fault in setLanguage

I also tried the same with "Generate peripheral initialization as a pair of .c/.h files" disabled, no change. Keil gave one warning that might be related:

.\STM32F746G_DISCO.sct(18): warning: L6314W: No section matches pattern *.o(ExtFlashSection).

I compared the scatter file with the one generated by earlier projects made with v4.16, no difference.

Edit: went back to v4.16 and after a reset of my st-link (with J-LINK firmware) the projects works again, it think the external memory didn't get programmed. Will make a new topic if get further problems and not capture this topic.

I'm trying to understand what you are trying to understand 😉 because you mentioned the exact bug that is breaking the project - any user code in peripheral init sections gets wiped out when checking the box.

The TouchGFX application templates contain such user code to initialize the QSPI, FMC etc. ​So when I try to clean up the main file by checking the "c/h pair" box, that all gets erased and my program hardfaults because the QSPI among others isn't initialized.

​​

CubeMX should never remove user code unless the particular module is disabled!​

What I am trying to understand is if it really is a bug and not just what is intended by CubeMX (i do also agree that CubeMX should never get rid of user code).

By checking the "c/h pair" box you are voluntarily removing the sections that contains that user code and then re initialize it in other c files, you are not moving the code somewhere else. CubeMX will not save the user code somewhere. I guess what you are asking for is that CubeMX saves that peripheral user code or transfers it. I don't know if it is somewhere in the documentation written that this option will not transfer user code. I think this is not really fair to the user as there are no warnings as well. Dont know if it is really a bug but it should be a easy/doable fix I suppose. 

I guess what we could do for the TouchGFX application templates (edit: TouchGFX Board Setups, it changed name I have to get used to it 😅) to prevent facing this issue would be to set that user code elsewhere in the main.c .

/Romain

There's no way it's not a bug. Exhibit A: the checkbox two items down that says "Keep User Code when re-generating". That should also cover the situation where one goes from a monster main.c file to individual peripheral files.

"...set that user code elsewhere in the main.c"

Yup, that's probably a good option from the TouchGFX standpoint.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Sorry I missed this. The box I checked is highlighted.

franck23
Senior

Check that you are setting the QSPI in Memory-mapped mode in the USER CODE section right at the end of the MX_QUADSPI_Init().

It needs to be set immediately at the end of MX_QUADSPI_Init(), not earlier, and not later.

It was some issues before where "generate peripheral initialization as a pair of '.c/.h/' files per peripheral" would not generate the USER CODE section at the end of the MX_QUADSPI_Init(). But it seems that it is fixed in the last CubeMx version.

You should also check that MX_QUADSPI_Init() is called before MX_TouchGFX_Init();

Your QSPI setup should mostly look like this (config for N25QL128):

void MX_QUADSPI_Init(void)
{

/* USER CODE BEGIN QUADSPI_Init 0 */

/* USER CODE END QUADSPI_Init 0 */

/* USER CODE BEGIN QUADSPI_Init 1 */

/* USER CODE END QUADSPI_Init 1 */
  hqspi.Instance = QUADSPI;
  hqspi.Init.ClockPrescaler = 1;
  hqspi.Init.FifoThreshold = 4;
  hqspi.Init.SampleShifting = QSPI_SAMPLE_SHIFTING_HALFCYCLE;
  hqspi.Init.FlashSize = 23;
  hqspi.Init.ChipSelectHighTime = QSPI_CS_HIGH_TIME_1_CYCLE;
  hqspi.Init.ClockMode = QSPI_CLOCK_MODE_0;
  hqspi.Init.FlashID = QSPI_FLASH_ID_1;
  hqspi.Init.DualFlash = QSPI_DUALFLASH_DISABLE;
  if (HAL_QSPI_Init(&hqspi) != HAL_OK)
  {
    Error_Handler();
  }
  /* USER CODE BEGIN QUADSPI_Init 2 */
  QSPI_Map();
  /* USER CODE END QUADSPI_Init 2 */
}

bool QSPI_Map(void)
{
	// Map QSPI
	QSPI_CommandTypeDef      s_command;
	QSPI_MemoryMappedTypeDef s_mem_mapped_cfg;
	// Configure the command for the read instruction
	s_command.InstructionMode   = QSPI_INSTRUCTION_1_LINE;
	s_command.Instruction       = QUAD_INOUT_FAST_READ_CMD;
	s_command.AddressMode       = QSPI_ADDRESS_4_LINES;
	s_command.AddressSize       = QSPI_ADDRESS_24_BITS;
	s_command.AlternateByteMode = QSPI_ALTERNATE_BYTES_NONE;
	s_command.DataMode          = QSPI_DATA_4_LINES;
	s_command.DummyCycles       = N25Q128A_DUMMY_CYCLES_READ_QUAD;
	s_command.DdrMode           = QSPI_DDR_MODE_DISABLE;
	s_command.DdrHoldHalfCycle  = QSPI_DDR_HHC_ANALOG_DELAY;
	s_command.SIOOMode          = QSPI_SIOO_INST_EVERY_CMD;
	// Configure the memory mapped mode
	s_mem_mapped_cfg.TimeOutActivation = QSPI_TIMEOUT_COUNTER_DISABLE;
	return HAL_QSPI_MemoryMapped(&hqspi, &s_command, &s_mem_mapped_cfg) == HAL_OK;
}

I agree this is a bug. Of course it should move the user code a long with the rest of the generated code.. We're following up on this.

Thanks @Martin KJELDSEN​ . By the way, the visible presence of you and @Romain DIELEMAN​ on this forum is really appreciated. You guys always reassure me that we are being heard and that our problems are being taken seriously inside ST.

Glad to hear that, @Michael K​! <3 We enjoy being here. Community feedback is #1 ! 🙂 Extremely valuable.