cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic error dialog and TypedText structure

M-Schiller
Associate III

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to write a generic error dialog for displaying messages to users. To achieve this, I created a container with a TextArea with a single wildcard. The wildcard's initial value is set to "> text goes here <". Everything works fine as long as I use static error messages, such as "Wrong code".

However, now I'd like to show a more dynamic error message such as "Version mismatch! Expected: <v_expected> - Actual: <v_actual>" (e.g. "Expected: 1.2.3 - Actual: 3.2.1"). Now, the resulting message looks like this:

"Version mismatch! Expected: > text goes here < - Actual: ".

Notice that the initial wildcard text is set for the first value and the second wildcard is empty. Is it possible, to pre-replace wildcards and just pass the text with replaced wildcards as the input to the Error Dialog? I'd like to have localized error messages with dynamic content.

EDIT: I know that there is the possibility of having two (2) wildcards, however I'd like to be able to possibly pre-fill 3, 4 or more placeholders if at all possible.

6 REPLIES 6
Florian Moser
Senior

le dot

Osman SOYKURT
ST Employee

Hello M-Schiller,

Your text translation looks good, but have you activated the 2 wildcards ?

0693W00000QKdGbQAL.png0693W00000QKdGlQAL.png0693W00000QKdGvQAL.pngAlso, you need to have the "Use wildcard buffer" check boxes checked to modify the values of your wildcards.

Then, you can do in your code something like that :

Unicode::snprintf(textArea1Buffer1, TEXTAREA1BUFFER1_SIZE, "%d", expectedVersion);
 Unicode::snprintf(textArea1Buffer2, TEXTAREA1BUFFER2_SIZE, "%d", currentVersion);

We have a very good tutorial that explains how to use multiple wildcards in the same TextArea widget, I recommend you to look at it 🙂

/Osman

Osman SOYKURT
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX
M-Schiller
Associate III

Thanks for this detailed explanation. However, is it possible to have more than 2 wildcards or replace the wild cards in TypedTexts programmatically and just pass the "full text" (after replacements) to the single wildcard in the dialog?

No, 2 wildcards is the maximum you can have in one TextArea.

And so, yes I recommend you to use only 1 wildcard if you want more dynamic values.

To do it, you can use the strncpy function like that :

char textToDisplay[TEXTAREA1_SIZE];
snprintf(textToDisplay, TEXTAREA1_SIZE, "Expected : %d - Actual : %d", expectedVersion, currentVersion);
Unicode::strncpy(textArea1Buffer, textToDisplay, TEXTAREA1_SIZE);

But remember to add the wildcard range / wildcard characters that you need for your text (letters, numbers and special characters like semicolon, space etc..)

Also, your buffer must be big enough to contain your text.

/Osman

Osman SOYKURT
M-Schiller
Associate III

How would I get the translation aspect into this? I'm writing an application in - for the time being - English and German. So, could I get

`Expected: %d - Actual: %d`, and

`Erwartet: %d - Tatsächlich: %d`, respectively, using TouchGFX' built-in translation facilities?

Hello,

In your case, using 2 wildcard is totally fine.

So just create a TextArea with 2 wildcards like I said in my first message.

Then, go to Texts on the left panel and cliick on the "+" button add a new language.

0693W00000QKjUKQA1.png 

You should have something which looks like this :

0693W00000QKjUeQAL.pngNotice that all your translation must have the same number of wildcard.

If you want to change language through TouchGFX Designer, go to "Config" > "General" and change the "Selected Language"

0693W00000QKjVNQA1.png 

if you want to change the language through code, you can use this function :

void touchgfx::Texts::setLanguage(touchgfx::LanguageId id)

The parameter touchgfx::LanguageId id correspond to the enum of LANGUAGES that you find in TextKeysAndLanguages.hpp file.

/Osman

Osman SOYKURT