cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fontconverter not backward compatible ?

SBACO
Associate III

I am using Touchgfx 4.13.0 in my application for a while and decide to upgrade to 4.17.0 (about time you can say). But it seems that the font management evolved, and as my product is upgradable OTA, I cannot really afford to resend all fonts in bluetooth low energy. Is there a way to configure the fontconverter to have an output compatible with previous version ?

I try to get the old one back in the latest touchgfx, but there are not compatible. Hope you can help.

It does not seems so, but does the other tools evolved ? textconverter or imageconverter will have the same issue ?

regards,

15 REPLIES 15

Hi,

I havn't forgotten you but cannot help you personally, I need the help of the FW team but we have been under a lot of work the past weeks so your case has been put back in the backlog everytime. I believe we should be more available by the end of next week where I'll try to have them look deeper at your case (not promising a fix though ��)

/Romain

SBACO
Associate III

Hello @Romain DIELEMAN​ ,

Any chance that you manage to test the pending point I am facing ? any chance to get a fix or a workaround ?

Regards,

Hi,

So what I have been replied is that it is too complicated to fix but we can help you try to adapt it. A solution would be to extract the generated file from 4.13 and modify it to have the lookup table use it.

By the way what is the purpose of upgrading to TouchGFX 4.17 ? Is it to use a widget that was added later on for example ? We could always try to extract that widget to make it work with 4.13.

/Romain

Can you confirm if the only difference is the last three bytes ? If yes we could try to hack the fontconverter to make the character the same size as in the old version.

/Romain

But I do think that it is not that easy. The generated file manual modification does not seems like a good idea. Especially, not futur proof.

I do think that using latest version of your framework is always a good idea. You do bug fixing, optimization, adding feature, we cannot be stuck to one version... I am not sure to understand why the fix is so complicated, as the fontconverter is not supposed to have changes. But if I use the old one (from 4.13) with touchgfx 4.17, it does not work. this probably means that the manual modification of generated files won't work neither.

I am afraid, this is not an option. our external flash memory in our thousand of devices are already programmed with the fonts based on 4.13. the original problem is to be able to use those bytes with latest touchgfx framework. What you're suggesting, make my duplicate the memory anyway for the new fonts => So it is really better to just use 4.17 as it is. For a MCU connected device, let me say that this kind of modification is really a shame, and I really do not understand how it happens and how nobody is facing it...

If I were building a smart watch, this kind of update, will kill the whole battery for just a font update that is not supposed to change. In my case, I have something like 900Ko of fonts, huge amount of data for BLE