cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cube IDE Debugging -- Proper Sequence?

Chandler
Associate II

Hi -- just wondering if anyone has tried importing a project generated by the Designer to the Cube IDE, and then had any success running it using the GDB debugger on either a 746 or 769 Discovery board? Everything seems to build fine in Designer and IDE, and the projects can run on the target board directly from Designer, but I can't get the IDE debugger to work after importing them. On the 746 Disco board, I get this message, right as the switch is being made from flash to debug mode:

----

Download verified successfully

(Read)Failed determine breakpoint type

Error! Failed to read target status

Debugger connection lost.

Shutting down...

----

On the 769 disco board, I don't even get that far. There is a popup saying "Error in final launch sequence. Failed to execute MI command"...

Pictures of the screens are attached.

Maybe I misunderstand what is supposed to happen between the Designer build phase and the IDE debugging phase? I thought IDE is supposed to import the GFX generated project, create the hex code, and all is good, no? If anyone knows how to get to this stage, please share details. Thanks to all. **Cube IDE 1.2 GFX 4.13, all templates version 3**

24 REPLIES 24

Thanks for the answer, in fact I saw an answer by @Martin KJELDSEN​ in this thread. He experienced the same issues and I quote him : "I have a fix for this CubeIDE debugger issue. I just forgot to upload a new template - Will get on it ASAP!".

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

For now, manually add the startup code (.s) file to your project for linking. The issue is that Eclipse based IDEs somehow define a weak symbol for the reset handler (in the .s file), but the .s file is not in the Application Template.

/Martin

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Before i finalize this and upload it, i just want to make sure it's working for you as well in CubeIDE (Version will be bumped to 3.0.1).

Unzip the file and find a .tpa, template file inside. Overwrite your existing .tpa file at %APPDATA%/TouchGFX-4.13.0\STM32F746G_DISCO\3.0.0.

Make sure to define an external flashloader for the external flash on the F746G-DISCO in the CubeIDE debugger settings.

/Martin

Thanks a lot, this works well !

The TouchGFX project generation works but I can't import it in CubeIDE.

There is no error message but the project doesn't show up in the project explorer

edit: I already had a projet with the default name ...

That's great! I added the .s file for gcc to the AT - It's in the top of this post. You could try that out and get back to me and i'll be sure to upload it.

/Martin

I generated a project with TouchGFX with the replaced .tpa template (%APPDATA%/TouchGFX-4.13.0\STM32F746G_DISCO\3.0.0 did not exist, it was under %APPDATA%/TouchGFX-4.13.0Downloads\STM32F746G_DISCO\3.0.0).

Everything compiles fine but I still get the same error :

Download verified successfully 

(Read)Failed determine breakpoint type
Error! Failed to read target status 
Debugger connection lost.
Shutting down...

Can you please check that:

1. The startup-code (.s) file is a part of the project
  2. An external flash loader is configured

/Martin

Hi @Martin KJELDSEN​ ,

1. I can't see the startup-code anywhere in the project explorer
  2. Yes, I did configure the external loader but it doesn't change anything

Thanks for your help,

Augustin

The culprit is that there's no .s file being linked from the project. I'll double check tomorrow because i can see it here on my end now. Thanks for testing!

/Martin