cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG: Deleting a Set Text interaction from a copied screen causes compiler error in Designer v4.18.0 and then project will no longer open once closed.

wired
Senior III

I was working on my fairly large application, when I copied a screen that was similar to what I needed and made some edits. I was unable to compile the program, because it could not find some __SingleUse constants. I closed the project, and then could not reopen it again. I got a dialog saying 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'.

After hours of frustration, I was finally able to recover my project by manually editing the texts.xml file after comparing it with the .touchgfx file to see what the differences in single use texts were.

After this, I created a simpler version of an application that generates the same failure and created a support case with ST.

I have copied many screens in my application and edited them, and not had a problem. I'm not sure why I had this issue, but all I did was copy and paste a screen, which contained Single Use TextArea widgets and a button, as well as some interactions.

To recreate the error in my simplified version, I copied and pasted the existing screen, then deleted all of the interactions except one. I then got compiler errors related to Single Use textArea widgets, and when I closed the program I was no longer able to open it again. I got the dialog box 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'.

This is a serious bug in that you can end up with an inoperable project that won't even load, so I am posting this as a warning to you. Do not copy and past a screen without first creating a backup of your project.

3 REPLIES 3
wired
Senior III

I created another, even more simple, example with a single screen containing a button and a textArea. I create a single interaction to change the text to a different string when the button is pressed. I then copy and paste that screen, then delete the interaction on the copied screen. The compile fails, and when the project is closed, it is broken and cannot be reopened.

BEWARE OF COPYING SCREENS THAT CONTAIN A 'SET TEXT' ACTION IN AN INTERACTION. If you delete this interaction from the copied screen, you project will become corrupted and you will no longer be able to open it.

NOTE: I have not experimented with the Set Wildcard action, it may cause the same problem since it is also manipulating text resources.

Romain DIELEMAN
ST Employee

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this on the forum as well to warn people, and for sharing how you were able to fix it. The Designer team is investigating on how to fix it for TouchGFX Designer 4.19 👍

For better visibility, could you edit the title of your post to add that this concerns the "Set Text" action ?

/Romain

wired
Senior III

@Romain DIELEMAN​ - Was this bug fixed for 4.19? I may stick with 4.18 if not...