cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my GPIO used as NSS toggles randomly during SPI data transfer

NZahr.1
Associate

Hello I'm using SPI to interface my STM32F7 with the SX1262 radio.

I got a weird behavior, I'm using a GPIO to toggle the NSS pin. But sometimes it toggles randomly during the data transfer. You can see on the following screenshot of my logic analyzer:

0693W00000StrykQAB.pngHere's the code for it:

void WriteBuffer(SPI_HandleTypeDef hspiX)
{
	while(HAL_GPIO_ReadPin(GPIOF, GPIO_PIN_13) == 1)
	{

}

uint16_t 	WriteBufferSize = 6;
	uint8_t 	WriteBufferCmd[] = {0x0E, 0x00, 0x33, 0x65, 0x67, 0x67}; // !ACC
	//uint8_t 	WriteBufferAnswer[6];

HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_4, GPIO_PIN_RESET);
	HAL_SPI_Transmit(&hspiX,(uint8_t *)WriteBufferCmd,WriteBufferSize,100);
	HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_4, GPIO_PIN_SET);

}

Here's the SPI setup:

0693W00000StrxwQAB.png 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you have flying wires or a long ribbon cable, this may be result of inadequate ground/return arrangement and/or crostallk.

If this is the case, the remedy is short cables and individual ground/return for each signal. You can try to work around this by increasing the NSS pin's drive by its GPIO_OSPEEDR setting, and decrease other pins' drive.

LA may not be the most adequate tool for this kind of problems.

JW

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

If you have flying wires or a long ribbon cable, this may be result of inadequate ground/return arrangement and/or crostallk.

If this is the case, the remedy is short cables and individual ground/return for each signal. You can try to work around this by increasing the NSS pin's drive by its GPIO_OSPEEDR setting, and decrease other pins' drive.

LA may not be the most adequate tool for this kind of problems.

JW

Michal Dudka
Senior III

Measure NSS pin by oscilloscope.

S.Ma
Principal

I suspect other code write other pin of same port, or memory pointer wrong writing. Try the debug watchpoint on the gpio out and bssr or moder register.

HAL_SPI_Transmit() is supposed to make sure the transmit completes, ie Tx FIFO empty, not busy, RX FIFO empty.

Not sure why this pin would glitch,would have to be a direct connection with something else or some other code. Anything in an interrupt or callback?

Any error or status returned by the commands?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

It was a wiring problem after all!

Thank you for the help