cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which board, the STM32H573xx or STM32MP151A/D, is more suitable for a cellular and sensor environmen

Amit_b
Associate

After careful deliberation, I must choose between either the STM32H573xx or STM32MP151A/D type of MCU. The specific one will be selected later once the board design is more finalized.

The board incorporates a cellular module crucial for its operation, with acceptable delays as long as they remain imperceptible to the user. Additionally, it interfaces with multiple sensors and GPIO for button inputs. Moreover, the board is subjected to high electrical spikes during its operational cycles. Furthermore, it features a screen and audio components.

Both MCUs are capable of fulfilling the board's requirements, yet nuances exist. To elaborate, the STM32MP151A/D boasts advanced security features, while the STM32H573xx excels in performance.

The pivotal question is which of these MCUs is better suited for an environment encompassing the operation of sensors and a cellular module.

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

The MP is normally used with some operation system like Linux. The H573 can be used bare metal ore some embedded OS. I think both CPUs are heavily overpowered for your problem. Both CPUs are very complex, so workuing with them will need s steep learning curve.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

STM32MP151 is not an MCU (microcontroller); it is an MPU (microprocessor)  - Cortex A7. 
As @Uwe Bonnes said, this would normally be used with an OS such as Linux.

STM32H573 is an MCU - Cortex M33

Your question is too vague:

• What, exactly, are these "sensors"
  • Give more details about the "screen and audio"

In general, for "the operation of sensors and a cellular module" a Cortex-M0 may well suffice ...

Those sensor include o2 saturation check as well as ESG, and other relative information of those sorts.
The screen has multiple high resolution pitchers to show and it is connected and
controlled using UART.
Audio is connected using I2C and plays both pre recorded audio corresponding to the screen or data from the cellular module.
From a previous project, Cortex-M0 would be too slow to handle all the necessary parts, as well as application layer logic, as a board with Cortex -M4 struggled under the load.
As for the OS, if  STM32H573 is picked, then RTOS would be used, so OS usage is non issue for the project. 

What is "ESG" in this context?

"The screen has multiple high resolution pitchers (sic?) to show and it is connected and controlled using UART"

So is this one of those "smart" displays with its own processor, where the GUI is all managed by the display processor?

eg, this kind of thing: 

https://www.lcd-module.com/products-lcd-oled-tft-hmi-display-industrial-medicine/unitftshigh-end-pcap.html 

"Audio is connected using I2C"

Really?!

I2C is a very strange choice for audio - did you mean I2S?

Or do you mean that the I2C is just controlling the audio - not transporting it?

"application layer logic"

Again, we know nothing about this - so impossible tell.