cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between STM32L4S5ZI and STM32L496RET?

HAhme.1
Associate II

Hello,

I just wanted to ask is there a big difference between STM32L496RE and STM32L4S5ZI. Other than STM32L4S5ZI having a larger RAM and memory. As well as no display interface but with encryption.

I'm asking because the STM32L496RE is now out of stock till mid October and I have to produce 10-20 more devices before then.

Kindly let me know of any other suggestions within the same family or a more advanced family that will be within the same specifications.

Thank you

Hanya

2 REPLIES 2
Paul1
Lead

Check out the other members of the STM32L4x6 series, See L476, L486, L496, L4A6.

Main differences I've seen are:

- the BOOT pin (Recommend design board to be compatible with L476, as internal Pulldown/pullup may not be available on BOOT pin in all ICs)

- Memory size

- (Clock options slight change, but can be compatible if you select options common across the series ... open the ICs in MX side by side)

I have some boards on order with L486 as I also had sourcing issues with L496, but I haven't received or tested them yet.

I have previously run simple L476 compiled code an L496 successfully.

I've been told they will run as long as you stay in the same series L4x6 and only use features that exist in alternate IC (Memory Size, Encryption, etc.).

Consider coding for the minimum, like L476 (if you have BOOT pin wired, or are up to hand mod the boards or making that pin change before ordering PCBs).

Easiest may be to find which ICs you can actually source today, then check side by side in MX versus L496. (No point checking the ones you can't get)

(Isn't sourcing during covid fun! I had to chase source on 5 ICs on my last order, including one that vanished between PCB assembly quote and my payment.)

Paul

Imen GH
ST Employee

Hello,

You can use the ST-MCU-FINDER tool (integrated in STM32CubeMX) , which offers the features to compare the characteristics of two or more MCUs through the "Cross Selector" tab, and to display the list of compatible MCUs.

Imen