cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the smallest achievable delay in microseconds for a 16-bit and a 32-bit timer?

Berlin-raj123
Associate II

Hi, I want to generate a 1 microsecond (1 µs) timer interrupt on the STM32G0B1RCT6 microcontroller using its internal clock(16MHz). I am currently using a 16-bit timer to achieve a 5 microsecond delay, but I cannot achieve a 1 microsecond delay. My question is: what is the smallest achievable delay in microseconds for a 16-bit and a 32-bit timer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This was already explained too you. You can't interrupt at this rate, you basically saturate the processors with busy work, and nothing gets done.

What you can do is have a maximal counter, running as fast as the processor clock, so whatever quantum that factors out at.

ie TIM->PSC = 0, TIM->ARR=0xFFFF

For a TIM clock running at 48 MHz, TIM->CNT increments every 20.833 ns

uint16_t start = TIM1->CNT;

while((TIM1->CNT - start) < 48); // 1us at 48 MHZ

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

You've already got a thread on this:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-boards-and-hardware/how-to-generate-a-1-microsecond-1-%C2%B5s-timer-interrupt-on-the/m-p/684321#M19430

@Berlin-raj123 wrote:

Hi, I want to generate a 1 microsecond (1 µs) timer interrupt 

In that thread, several people have already asked you why you feel the need to do that, and have explained that it's a Bad Idea.

This was already explained too you. You can't interrupt at this rate, you basically saturate the processors with busy work, and nothing gets done.

What you can do is have a maximal counter, running as fast as the processor clock, so whatever quantum that factors out at.

ie TIM->PSC = 0, TIM->ARR=0xFFFF

For a TIM clock running at 48 MHz, TIM->CNT increments every 20.833 ns

uint16_t start = TIM1->CNT;

while((TIM1->CNT - start) < 48); // 1us at 48 MHZ

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @Berlin-raj123 

Could you please tell why are you duplicating this thread from https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-boards-and-hardware/how-to-generate-a-1-microsecond-1-%C2%B5s-timer-interrupt-on-the/m-p/684321#M19430 ?

Are all these answers didn't convince you?

I agree with @Tesla DeLorean you will saturate the processor at this rate for nothing as you didn't explain the main reason for doing that!

Otherwise the thread will be closed.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.