cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you people using to layout firmware requirements?

Javier1
Principal

0693W00000aIf02QAC.png 

Recently, one of the projects i was working on just went sideways, one of the reasons was the requirements being thrown at the developer (mail/whatsap/spurious comments) by more than one stakeholder (usually contradicting themselves).

The requirement file ended up being a stinking pdf BLOB of contradictory not updated and sometimes redundant requirements.

I dont want this to happen again, so im curious how is everyone here managing "complex" system development?

Is there a clear winner in between Requirement Management software tools?

I am looking for a tool that also produces something that can be presented to nonTechnical stakeholders without too much translation.

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk
4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

For simple projects you can get it done with a Kanban board (like available on github) and classic scrum "planning poker" procedure.

But you asked about a complex one. In a complex project there usually is one or more dedicated management resources (PMs or whatever they are called). This is the key. Have a dedicated person(s) who take care of appeasing the stakeholders and isolate developers from the nuisance.

This type of job is now jeopardized by chatgpt, btw.

The actual software does not matter much, can be even a blob of pdf's.

One my customer uses monday.com. Not bad, but again, without permanent reviewing and trimming it can become a smelly pile.

My former employer, owner of PCI vendor id 0x8086, has a huge system based on something Azure. Very expensive and again needs a dedicated layer of people to manage. Not for average company.

Thanks @Pavel A.​ , i researched a bit about monday.com, i probably wont ending up using it.

But their documentation its good enough, so i get a view of whats important and how to organice stuff.

>>The actual software does not matter much, can be even a blob of pdf's.

as im always shortstaffed i was looking for something making my life easier. (but i happen to be also shortfunded so no paying frameworks).

A blob of PDfs doesnt sound like a ideal solution to me, lets see what i end up doing, probably something outputing html

How do you see the ideal interface? Interactive "canvas" shareable with others ("canban board" or "mind map") [with file attachments] or printable document [ + optional online view] ?

it will sound silly, but everytime i think about this the AOEII tech tree pops up in my mind.

0693W00000aIwubQAC.png 

So i would say "mind map" with file attachments

>>[ + optional online view]

most of these mind map tools are meant to be shown in web anyway, right?