cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Jitter when using DMA to generate PWM in GPIOs

Okbit
Associate II

So i was trying to generate pwm on all gpio pins of a stm32F103 for my application. I found followed this guide:https://www.hackster.io/javier-munoz-saez/all-pins-as-pwm-at-the-same-time-baremetal-stm32-1df86f

the essence is using the function:

void setSoftPWM(uint16_t pin, uint32_t duty ,uint32_t *softpwmbuffer){
	for (uint32_t i = 0;  i < lengthSoftPWMbuffer; ++ i) {
		if(i<duty){//set pin
			softpwmbuffer[i]&=(uint32_t)~(pin<<16);
			softpwmbuffer[i]|=(uint32_t)pin;
		}else{//reset pin
			softpwmbuffer[i]&=(uint32_t)~(pin);
			softpwmbuffer[i]|=(uint32_t)pin<<16;
		}
	}

}

to generate a buffer array of 100 elements which contain the gpio info for the GPIOX_BSRR register depending on the duty cycle. I configure the dma in circular mode and trigger it with a timer update event.

I do the initial configuration using CubeMX and then add the following code to start the dma.

HAL_TIM_Base_Start(&htim1);
  HAL_TIM_Base_Start(&htim2);
  HAL_TIM_Base_Start(&htim4);
  HAL_DMA_Start_IT(&hdma_tim1_up, 	(uint32_t)&(dataA[0]), (uint32_t)&(GPIOA->BSRR), sizeof(dataA));
  HAL_DMA_Start_IT(&hdma_tim2_up, 	(uint32_t)&(dataB[0]), (uint32_t)&(GPIOB->ODR), sizeof(dataB));
  HAL_DMA_Start_IT(&hdma_tim4_up, 	(uint32_t)&(dataC[0]), (uint32_t)&(GPIOC->BSRR), sizeof(dataC));

//start DMAs
  __HAL_TIM_ENABLE_DMA(&htim1, TIM_DMA_UPDATE);
  __HAL_TIM_ENABLE_DMA(&htim2, TIM_DMA_UPDATE);
  __HAL_TIM_ENABLE_DMA(&htim4, TIM_DMA_UPDATE);

Then i use the setSoftPWM() function to initialize a pwm in different gpio pins like so:

setSoftPWM(GPIO_PIN_0, 90, (uint32_t*)&dataA); //sets gpioA
setSoftPWM(GPIO_PIN_0, 40, (uint32_t*)&dataB); //sets gpioB
setSoftPWM(GPIO_PIN_13, 60, (uint32_t*)&dataC);//sets gpioC

But when i upload to the MCU i am getting these waveforms on the pins:

PWM at 100% duty cycle

Okbit_0-1702369391874.png

PWM at 0% duty cycle

Okbit_1-1702369391855.png

PWM at 50% duty cycle:

Okbit_2-1702369391867.png

as you can see the pwm is working somewhat but only in a very small part of the waveform. The rest of the waveform has this weird jitter.

I tried a bunch of things but am unable to eliminate the jitter. The random waveforms are completely arbitrary and change with the gpio ports and everytime i reset the MCU.

At first i thought maybe it is a hardware problem so i tried it in a different f103 and a L432kc but am getting the same result.

So its probably a software problem but no matter what i try, cant really explain or eliminate the jitter.

what am i missing here?

Regards:

Okbit

Here is the full code made using stm32CubeIDE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

> sizeof(dataA)

The function wants the number of transfers, not the number of bytes.

This should be sizeof(dataA) / sizeof(*dataA), or however else you want to write it such that it's the number of uint32_t values in the buffer.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sarra.S
ST Employee

Hello @Okbit, welcome to ST Community, 

I'd highly recommend referring to the TIM example under the STM32CubeF1

The example titled "TIM_DMA" describes how to use DMA with TIMER Update request to transfer Data from memory to TIMER Capture Compare Register. The objective of the example is to configure TIM1 channel 3 to generate a complementary PWM signal. You may take this example as a reference to correctly configure your peripheral.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

TDK
Guru

> sizeof(dataA)

The function wants the number of transfers, not the number of bytes.

This should be sizeof(dataA) / sizeof(*dataA), or however else you want to write it such that it's the number of uint32_t values in the buffer.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Okbit
Associate II

That was it! I never realized it was that simple!

Thank you so much i was stuck on this problem forever.

Thats a great resource that i wasn't aware of thanks for the info