cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update tool ST-LINK gives old firmware?

Willunen
Associate III
Posted on January 11, 2017 at 09:44

Hi, newby here. I recently bought two discovery boards from Conrad.nl.

One with a STM32F100RTB and the other with a STM8S003K3T.

Now I wanted to upgrade the firmware of the integrated ST-LINK modules on the Discovery boards. According to the documentation :

On ST-LINK/V2-1 boards, upgrade firmware to the version V2J28M

On ST-LINK/V2 boards, upgrade firmware to the version V2J28S7.

On ST-LINK boards, upgrade firmware to the version V1J13S4.

But in my case the STM32 board is updated to firmware V1.JS0

And worse, the STM8 board to firmware V1.J0.S4

This version seems to be too old for the ST-LINK Utility.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Wilko Lunenburg

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
22 REPLIES 22
Posted on January 12, 2017 at 20:10

you have got the last version of STM32 debug interface but the STM8 debug interface is not supported.

Ah ,that explains it as this ST-Link is integrated on the STM32 board.

Wilko

Posted on January 12, 2017 at 20:13

For the STM8 board, the STLink firmware is also upgraded correctly:

That may be so, but the ST-Link utility V4.0.0.0 doesn't want to speak with it saying

'Old STLink firmware detected. Please upgrade it' 

And that, I cannot.

Wilko

Posted on January 12, 2017 at 20:16

Hi Clive One,

Thanks, I tried it. But it 'upgrades'  it to a version lower than the one I already had. And my ST-Link utility (4.0.0.0) doesn't want to spreak with that one either. Do you by any change also have an older ST-Link utillity?

Wilko

Posted on January 12, 2017 at 20:23

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7OY5pub_GfIOFVzQTV0VEE1TG8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7OY5pub_GfIcUpnMk5yc3g0Yk0

Yes, also 3.0 thru 3.9 but don't have a good grasp of what version of firmware each has.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on January 12, 2017 at 20:31

Which board/version are you currently trying to update? I think the V1 stopped at J13, and V2 started at J14

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on January 13, 2017 at 09:39

Thanks for the older tools, unfortunately both will not work with the board I have (tried it on a clean windows 7 pc) .

The board is a STM8S VL DISCOVERY that I bought last year from Conrad.nl, it is odd that they sell stuff you cannot use...

But I don't think it is worth spending any more of anyone's and my time on it. I have the other STM32-DISCOVERY board with a STM32F103RBT to play with. Thanks to all.

Wilko

Khouloud GARSI
Lead II
Posted on January 13, 2017 at 12:50

Hi Wilko,

The STLink utility supports only the STM32 devices.

For your STM8, you should use : STVP (for programming) and the STVD (for debug).

You can download those tools from ST website. Just download

https://my.st.com/content/my_st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm8-software-development-tools/stm8-programmers/stvp-stm8.license%3d1484306677015.html

, it enables you to get the 2 tools simultaneously.

Khouloud.

Posted on January 13, 2017 at 12:17

ST offers/offered a stand-alone version of the ST-Link for a very affordable price. I got one some years ago for the price of about 3 Discovery boards. Not sure if it's still available and in that price region. And, it's only worthwhile if you want to dig deeper into the STM8 world (i.e. get more boards of that kind).

Otherwise, I would suggest to get another stand-alone debug pod, like the J-Link or a CMSIS-DAP compatible one. They enjoy greater support from different toolchains, and leave you other alternatives (different vendors).

Khouloud GARSI
Lead II
Posted on January 13, 2017 at 15:02

Hi Wilko,

You are confusing between:

Khouloud

Posted on January 13, 2017 at 14:05

Hi Avatar,

When I continue with the STM8, a standalone programmer/debugger is what I will buy. But the J-Link (Segger) you suggest, seems not support the STM8. So it will probably be a ST-Link v2.

Wilko