cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Gain in OPAMP_PGA in G431

HDaji.1
Senior

I am testing Examples/OPAMP/OPAMP_PGA/ in G4 package code, only to find the gain is not consistent as showed below:

0693W00000GWAeJQAX.jpgThe OPAMP input values are 0.01,0.03, ..., 0.15, and gain is 16.

However, I measured output at ADC side, the gain drops significant as input values increase.

What went wrong?

20 REPLIES 20

Hi Igor,

thank you very much for your effort. Much appreciate it.

In fact, my test setup is a bit complicated: I use a G4 board SPI to control a DAC board and adjust its voltage output, which is connected to the same G4 board's OPAMP input. I link OPAMP output to an ADC input channel. That's how I got the above weird result.

In the past days, I did another test: use one G4 board to control the DAC; use another G4 board's OPAMP+ADC just to read DAC output. The result looks reasonable except that when DAC output goes low as 10mV, gain is slightly higher than expected. I guess it may be caused by that OPAMP offset.

The weird result in my first attempt is caused by the test setup: too many wires.

I will try to reduce wiring as much as possible. Any other advice on how to do a decent setup for my complicated testbed?

One more question: have you tried to measure the OPAMP output using ADC input channel of the same chip or board? I wonder how big the ADC error can reach. My project requirement is to use OPAMP+ADC to read voltage in range 10~30mv, ADC reading error < 1mV after gain.

Igor Cesko
ST Employee

Hi HDaji.1 ,

This OPAMP - ADC configuration was tested. The ADC measures what is on OPAMP output (if correct minimum sampling time was applied). So the accuracy of voltage measurement is given by ADC parameters - as shown in datasheet.

This means : Total unadjusted error = 5.5LSB (datasheet data). If VREF=3.3V then 1LSB = 3.3/4095 = 0.8mV . So Total unadjusted error = 5.5 * 0.8mV = 4.4mV.

If we measure such low voltages then error will be much better - dominant is ADC offset error (gain error is not so important) then: offset error = 2.5LSB => 2mV.

Regards

Igor

Hi Igor,

I also wanted to try DC voltage in RAM by modifying the Sinewave example.

I did two things: (1) for sinewave value array, I put same value for all; (2) I set the DAC trigger timer to be a large value.

However, DAC output voltage drops very fast. I wonder how to maintain the DAC output voltage level.

I enable DAC SampleandHold and use the longest value for sample and hold time. It still does not work.

Do you mind sending me your code? Thx.

Igor Cesko
ST Employee

Hi HDaji.1,

Do not use sample and hold mode for the DAC. Modify the example in the STM32CubeMX - this is the easiest way to modify the project (*.ioc file in the example is the file for STM32CubeMX). In STM32CubeMX change the DAC mode and build the example again.

Regards

Igor

You mean this one0693W00000GXOluQAH.jpgand this one

sConfig.DAC_OutputBuffer = DAC_OUTPUTBUFFER_DISABLE;

BTW, I am using CubeIDE not CubeMX

I used back the original OPAMP_PGA code, now the DAC output voltage is sustained. Thx.

Igor Cesko
ST Employee

Hi HDaji.1 ,

Mode should be "Connected to external pin only".

And "Sample And Hold" should be "Sampleandhold Disable" :

0693W00000GXYX4QAP.png Regards

Igor

Hi Igor,

Is there a way to calibrate OPAMP offset? I found even for the same gain, the offset values are different for my two experiments conducted at different times. That's annoying.

Is there any way to adjust ADC error to 1LSB?

Hi HDaji.1 ,

Please disable "SampleandHold" mode to have stable DC value.

Regards

Igor