cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U575ZIT6 microcontroller - issue when configuring PLL1 as the clock source

OTM98
Associate II

Hello forum members,

I am currently working on a custom PCB based on the STM32U575ZIT6 microcontroller. I've encountered an issue when configuring PLL1 as the clock source – the code generates a hard fault. However, when selecting HSI or HSE as the source, everything works fine. The challenge is that I am unable to achieve the desired 160MHz clock speed without using the PLL.

I've observed that in the RCC (Reset and Clock Control) section, when I choose HSE or HSI, the regulator_voltage_scale is set to level 4. Interestingly, manually changing it to levels 3, 2, or 1 results in a hard fault.

I would appreciate any insights or suggestions regarding this issue. Has anyone encountered a similar problem with PLL1 configuration on the STM32U575ZIT6, or does anyone have recommendations on resolving hard faults related to clock configuration?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I see a single 10 uF capacitor in your design. This is a bulk capacitor, not a decoupling capacitor, and serves a similar but different purpose. Please refer to the hardware design guide.

TDK_0-1702057960152.png

The lack of decoupling capacitors can result in the hard fault you are seeing at higher clock speeds.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TDK
Guru

> custom PCB based on the STM32U575ZIT6

Sounds like a power issue. Do you have a nucleo board or other known good hardware you can test your code on?

Perhaps share a schematic, or check for the usual things:

• VDD/VDDA all powered and decoupled.
  • VCAP all decoupled and showing valid voltage.
  • VSS/VSSA all connected to GND.
  • Sufficient VDD bulk capacitance.
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
OTM98
Associate II

Hello,

Thank you for your input. I've checked the power supply using STM32CubeProgrammer, and the voltage reads at 3.28V. Additionally, I've tested the code on a Nucleo-U575ZI-Q board where everything functions as expected. However, on my custom PCB, I'm encountering difficulties manipulating PLL1.

Despite these measures, the issue persists on my custom PCB. I appreciate any further suggestions or insights into potential areas I should investigate.

Thank you for your assistance. 

Best regards,

check.jpeg

Do you have any decoupling caps? Typically a 0.1 uF at each VDD pin.

Hardware design guide:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an5373-getting-started-with-stm32u5-mcu-hardware-development-stmicroelectronics.pdf

OTM98
Associate II

Thank you for your response. Yes, I have incorporated decoupling capacitors into the design. Specifically, I have placed 10 uF capacitors at each VDD pin, following the recommended practice.

For a visual reference, I've connected them as illustrated in the attached image:

check.jpeg

I see a single 10 uF capacitor in your design. This is a bulk capacitor, not a decoupling capacitor, and serves a similar but different purpose. Please refer to the hardware design guide.

TDK_0-1702057960152.png

The lack of decoupling capacitors can result in the hard fault you are seeing at higher clock speeds.

OTM98
Associate II

Thank you for pointing that out and providing valuable insight into the capacitor setup.

I'm wondering if there's a solution you might suggest considering the PCB has already been fabricated. Is there a way to address this issue without significant changes to the existing PCB layout?

Hello @OTM98 

The issue is more likely to be linked to hardware and doesn't seem to be coverable by software. Your can refer to the documentation provided by @TDK. Also, in AN2867 more tips for oscillator PCB design may be helpful. 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Depends on your tools and skills at rework. I could certainly add 0.1 uF caps at each pin given sufficient motivation, though I wouldn't want to. Not realistic if you just have a hobby soldering setup.

Barring that, use lower clock speeds.