cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U0 1.8V and USB 3.3V

Decebalus
Associate II

Hello! I am working with a STM32U073 on 1.8V and I want to use the USB feature. Indeed, the datasheet tells us that USB needs a separate power supply around 3V (4.1 Power supplies), but every time when I apply this voltage on VDDUSB pin, it goes to the VDD pins too. And vice versa, if I supply only the VDD pins with 1.8V, same voltage is on VDDUSB, without traces between them. I set / cleared according to datasheet the PVM1, PVMO1 and USV bits (4.2.3 Peripheral Voltage Monitoring (PVM)). It can be something internal? I checked the PCB and traces and is nothing wrong. 

6 REPLIES 6
TDK
Guru

Custom board?

Take a continuity measurement when the board is off between VDD and VDDUSB. It should be very high impedance.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Yes, custom board. I did the tests before writing here, and it is a short. I remove the uC to
check the PCB and the traces are not shorted. I did a continuity test directly on the pins
(VDDUSB and VDD pads of the uC) and they are connected. I use a STM32U073KCU6 with UFQFPN32 footprint and in the datasheet (pinout) says that VDDUSB can be independent, but maybe the datasheet needs an update like STM32U535 WLCSP56 footprint: 21-Dec-2023 VDDUSB corrected to VDD.

111.png

I think I found the problem. In the pinout figure, VDDUSB is present, but in the table below says that UFQFPN32 package does not have a VDDUSB pin and probably is internally connected to VDD and so if I want to use USB with this STM32 I must supply a voltage above 3.0V. Correct me if I am wrong.footprint.png

Untitle222d.png

Your analysis is correct.

FWIW, CubeMX shows the correct pinout. Bummer the datasheet is misleading.

TDK_0-1722339873311.png

@Amel NASRI Could you please look into changing the datasheet so it says "VDD" instead of "VDDUSB" on pin 17?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi @TDK ,

Indeed the correct information is in the pinout table where pin 17 is a VDD and the UFQFPN32 pinout figure should be fixed.

AmelNASRI_0-1722605572524.png

It is reported internally, thanks for bringing the issue to our attention.

Internal ticket number: 188029 (This is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Viktor POHORELY
ST Employee

I confirm there is no dedicated VDDUSB on QFN32 package. Request for update of the drawing in DS has been already created, will be done with next planned revision of the document. Pinout table is correct.

Thank you to report this point and sorry for the difficulties.