cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7A3/7B3 operating frequency

KGane.1
Associate III

Why the operating frequency of ATM32H7A3/7B3 is limited to 280 whereas the other families in H7 series supports minimum of 480MHz

3 REPLIES 3

The original ones were only spec'd to 400 MHz, top of the line now is 550 MHz

The device may well run at significantly higher than 280 MHz, depends on what process it's built on, perhaps they have a slow one to address some specific customer (Nintendo, White Goods?) or niche market where the price/speed tier fit? Or it competes against as specific Microchip model.

The ability to fab at an old facility might have some benefits at this point, especially if those offering tighter geometries are "busy"

Either way it's a business decision, and really doesn't need to be justified. If you need a faster part, pick one.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
KGane.1
Associate III

@Community member​ Thanks for comments. 7A3/7B3 has slight advantage in embedded RAM.

Specific frame buffer requirements? Be it games, or displays on IoT Thermostats.

https://www.hackster.io/news/the-new-nintendo-game-watch-is-certainly-some-hardware-we-ll-be-keeping-a-watchful-eye-on-2acf719ac8c1

My expectation is that the part clocks faster than advertised, the old X,Y,Z steps of the STM32H74x devices seemed to hum along at 533 MHz

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..