cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H563VI is not running on the HSE it is running only in HSI

krishnawa
Associate II

We are having 6 proto boards and out of 6 boards only 3 are working properly, I'll outline my observations:

Similarities:

1. All six boards can be programmed/erase the flash.
  2. Physically, the orientation of all components is the same for every board.
  3. Each board has a proper clock and reset.
  4. The BOOT0 pin is pull-downed on all boards.
  5. All boards show the same VCAP pin voltage (1.3V).

Differences:

1. In working three boards, the board is working as expected, but in the other three, it seems it is not running the program.
  2. The overall current consumption of the working board is about 20mA, while the non-working boards have an overall current consumption of about 9mA.

Actions taken on the boards:

Tested a LED blinking code with an external clock configuration and debugged it on both boards:

1. Previously working board's LED is blinking as expected.
  2. Previously non-working board's LED is not blinking.

Used the same code with an internal clock configuration and debugged it on both boards:

1. Previously working board's LED is blinking as expected.
  2. Previously non-working board's LED is blinking.

After identifying that the problem lies with the system clock, we exchanged the crystal and load capacitors between a working board and a non-working board. However, we still obtained the same results as mentioned above.

krishnawa_0-1705383235045.jpeg

This is the non functional board's Main crystal clock out. it seems the clock is working but the controller not taking the clock, something wrong with the controller

Please, can anyone help me identify this problem and suggest possible solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SofLit,

Our revision is X, and we found a problem that is neither related to the MCU nor the main crystal (HSE). It is associated with the RTC crystal (LSE). When we remove the load capacitors of the RTC Clock, it works every time. Thank you for your support, ST; your assistance means a lot to me.

krishnawa_0-1705721157205.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear @krishnawa,

can you share the schematics around the 25MHz crystal ? , PCB and also crystal datasheet to try to help .

Cheers,

STOne-32

Hi,

Here is the schematic and PCB image of the board. We are using a 25MHz crystal with the part number ABMM-25.000MHZ-D-2-X-T, and the load capacitor we have used is 30PF, 25V C0G/NP0 5% (0201)

Please find the datasheet of crystal from here: ABMM1 (mouser.com)

or below I've attached the same.

SchematicSchematic

Schematic

Crystal placementCrystal placement

PCB

Hi,

30 pf load capacitor is way too big!

Try 12 pf or 8 pf and test again.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @krishnawa ,

Could you please share your clock configuration or your .ioc file?

The 25MHz is already on the output. Are you probing on one of the MCO pins?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Here I'm providing 2 .ioc file one is with HSI clock configuration, and one is with HSE clock configuration.

Here the non-working board is not working with test_led_HSE_Clock_configuration.ioc

and I didn't probe on the MCO Pins, I'll try that, and I'll let you know.

Non-working board: HSI signal out from MCO pinNon-working board: HSI signal out from MCO pin

Non-working board: HSE signal out from MCO pinNon-working board: HSE signal out from MCO pin

For your reference The HSE out of a working board.

working board: HSE signal out from MCO pinworking board: HSE signal out from MCO pin

   

Hello,

Thank you for the sharing. But according to your test_led_HSE_Clock_config.ioc file, the system clock source is set to CSI not HSE:

SofLit_1-1705405572136.png

Could you please double check?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Yeah, I've changed that and tested it on the non-working board but still it's not working as expected.

Hello,

Its seems it's related to this errata:

SofLit_0-1705484994238.png

Please refer to the errata document on this link.

But the limitation is available only on Rev A.

What is the revision of the failing devices?