cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 and STM32H7 HDMI implementation

Hello,

Please forgive me for what is probably a newbie question.  What is required to implement an HDMI interface with the STM32F7 or H7 MCU series?  Is a DSI-to-HDMI bridge always required?  What is the max. supported display resolution?

Thanks,

Scott

5 REPLIES 5
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @scott239955_stm1_stmicro_com 

I suggest you to take a look at the HDMI-CEC chapter of the STM32H7 or STM32F7 that you are using.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

HDMI-CEC is an entirely different thing, and not the question being asked.

Yes, you're likely to need a bridge, you can only use two-lanes, so basically limited to 800 Mbps - 1 Gbps

So perhaps resolutions of around 1024x600, 1280x800 or 1388x768, say 1.1 Mpixel, and perhaps play games with the color depth or refresh rate to keep you under the cap.

So not going to remotely entertain FHD or UHD

rough_bw = x_res * y_res * color_depth * refresh_rate

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you.  So I'm concerned that 1080p might be difficult.  We don't need high frame rates, but I don't know the color depth the UI designers are going to want.  It appears that we'd need to keep the frame rate to, say, 24 Hz and depth to 18bpp.

Also, I'm not seeing that the H7 series has a DSI interface, so is it even a candidate for HDMI video?

Scott

As stated by @Tesla DeLorean  you need a bridge for this.

Example the B-LCDAD-HDMI1 adapter.

See also this thread.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.