cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F427 External 32 bit Dual Port Ram

john239955_st
Associate III
Posted on February 05, 2014 at 17:20

I have looked at using the STM32F427 to drive a 32 bit Universal Bus, similar to VME.

I need CAN, SPI, USB etc, therefore the STM32 looks a good choice.

I am finding difficulty in getting information on the FMC bus that will Read and Write to a 32 bit external SRAM (DPR), I need 32 bit data bus, about 10 Address lines, a WR, RD CE0, CE1 and Wait. I have checked out the MicroXplore this only sets a 32 bit SDRAM and a 8 bit and 16 bit bus all the docs imply this is available.

I would prefer to ensure this can be implemented before doing down a board/software design route. 

Thank you for your help ... Regards  John W

#poor-quality-of-documentation
18 REPLIES 18
john239955_st
Associate III
Posted on February 06, 2014 at 16:19

Thanks JW

I am looking at the STM32F429 Discovery Kit on my bench .. 2 to be honest ... trouble is ... the chip is the LQFP144 and therefore does not have the high range of the 32 bit data bus. good thought ... maybe I will do need to do a PCB.

Surely out there an ST man knows ....

Regards JW

Posted on February 06, 2014 at 16:33

> I am looking at the STM32F429 Discovery Kit on my bench .. 2 to be honest ... trouble is ...

> the chip is the LQFP144 and therefore does not have the high range of the 32 bit data bus.

Ahhh... I didn't know. Sorry.

> Surely out there an ST man knows ....

Surely he does.

JW

Posted on February 06, 2014 at 16:33

> I am looking at the STM32F429 Discovery Kit on my bench .. 2 to be honest ... trouble is ...

> the chip is the LQFP144 and therefore does not have the high range of the 32 bit data bus.

Ahhh... I didn't know. Sorry.

> Surely out there an ST man knows ....

Surely he does.

JW

Posted on February 06, 2014 at 17:30

Surely out there an ST man knows ....

Except this isn't the place he hangs out. You'd want to drill in via the ST rep and FAE networks.

For boards, I'd watch what

http://www.wvshare.com/column/STM32_DevelopmentBoard.htm

or the other eBay guys get up to. The STM32F429I-DISCO is a bit resource starved to be much use in the near term.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on February 06, 2014 at 17:52

STM32429I-EVAL, http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF259093 , but it's too pricey for a few experiments (and it's still not '427 and the chip here being BGA, swapping it is much less viable...)

JW
john239955_st
Associate III
Posted on February 06, 2014 at 18:19

Thanks Guy's for all your help.

I will go back to the company I purchased the Discovery Kit and get the FAE on the job.

Kind Regards, JW

Posted on February 06, 2014 at 18:22

The STM32439I-EVAL isn't a good starting point for a design mash-up, it's good for evaluating a host of interfaces as built.

You'd want to look for a break out board for the 176-pin devices.

http://www.wvshare.com/product/XCore407I.htm

If you don't have the rework tools, I'm sure you could find someone who could get you an unpopulated board, or one with an engineering sample of the desired chip, even if you had to get the samples from ST.

Find a local ST rep, and push in there.
john239955_st
Associate III
Posted on February 06, 2014 at 19:21

Thanks ...

Have sent a mail to a ST FAE

The board looks a good solution ... we have no problem with removing the chip and fitting a F427 just hope the pins outs are common but will check.

I do have the LQFP176 in my PCB CAD but the board is cheaper that the board tooling.

Kind Regards John W.

Posted on February 06, 2014 at 19:48

In the time it takes to fire my CAD guys up, I could get a board from China and saved several grand.

Suggest you email the WaveShare guy, or one of the other eBay vendors, like ShenZhen WangBao, chances are they are working on F427/F429/F439 designs as it is.

Skimming the RM0090 I'm left with the impression the FMC hardware is capable of 32-bit operation, the practicalities are another matter.