cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stm32f405rgt6 custom board not detected on stm32programmer,]

ArnavTakle
Associate II

hey, I'm developing a custom stm32f405rgt6 board. I'm using stlink for uploading code. I'm comparitively new to stm as i've only worked with blue pill. I get "Error: No STM32 target found! If your product embeds Debug Authentication, please perform a discovery using Debug Authentication" this issue whenever i try to connect with stlink. i was not able to connect even once. I'm attaching the schematics below. I'm getting please help me solve the issue.

pcb.png

10 REPLIES 10
STOne-32
ST Employee

Hi @ArnavTakle ,

if you have a multimeter / ammeter : try to measure the Voltage at VCAP1 and VCAP2 pins close to the 2.2uF and 4.7uF caps - it should be around 1.2 Volts .  Then to check VDDA pin if the self between digital and analog rails is connected . Also if possible to know the power consumption at that inductor ? It seems more a hardware issue and how the STLink is connected to SWD lines and NRST pins .

Hope it helps .

STOne-32

I'm getting 1.28volts around vcap 1 and 2. i didn't understand the VDDA part. also, i don't know how to check power consumption at inductor. I accedently accepted it as solution.

STOne-32
ST Employee

No Worries  having 1,28V that means the MCU is up and working. May be next to check BOOT0 pin if in ground to boot from Flash .  You can also try ST Link Utility and have a log file - the tool is obsolete but to check if the device is genuine - a Top marking picture is helpful also .

Good luck !

ST1

I have ST link V2 mini programmer and it has stm32f103CBT6 ic. 

ArnavTakle_0-1719671900827.jpeg

i regularly connect my blue pill using it.

BOOT0 is connected to ground through 47k resistor. and i also have connected a button to boot0 to make it high if necessary.

That's a clone / counterfeit ST-LINK, don't expect a lot of support / concern related to fixing issues with that.

The error basically means the connection is non-viable, frequently what you're connecting too and power supplies. Code you put on the device can also impede connectivity, ie reassigning pins, or turning off pins/circuitry require in low-power operation. Assuming you're seeing this on new boards, with blank devices.

The ST-LINK typically requires

VCC (VTarget, from the board you're attaching)

GND

SWDIO

SWCLK

NRST (if "Connect Under Reset" desired/required)

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
BarryWhit
Senior III

You can't buy clones and expect ST to provide support (for them). But they do generally work (at least for programming) for most people.

One more thing to try, see if you can at least activate the bootloader and connect to it with STM32CubeProgrammer.

I don't see a USB connector on in the schematic - so over UART (make sure you're connecting your USB->Serial cable to the right pins). If that works, you at least have a backup for programming the chip (though without debug, you'd have a hard time developing).

- If a post has answered your question, please acknowledge the help you received by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary of any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.

Will the programmer detect stm32 ic while using serial communication?  

No. (not your clone...)

Need an (any) USB-serial adapter, rx/tx connected to the pins with uart/boot function.

Then connect in Programmer to uart ->

AScha3_0-1719734027451.png

+

Did you try to connect under "software reset" ? Try. (your clone has no working reset for stm32, usually.)

AScha3_1-1719734265774.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

@ArnavTakle wrote:

Will the programmer detect stm32 ic while using serial communication?  

If you're STM32 is otherwise functional (I mean if the problem is only with the SWD interface), it should.

Late Update: by "programmer" I meant "STM32CubeProgrammer" should be able to connect over UART. if by "programmer" you were asking if the ST-LINK will connect, then no, that's the whole point. It uses the SWD interface. You need to connect USB-Serial Cable and use that connection (UART mode) in STM32CubeProgrammer to connect to the board.

- If a post has answered your question, please acknowledge the help you received by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary of any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.