Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 eMMC support

Posted on May 12, 2018 at 13:47

Hello there,

I am writing in regard to those 2 topics:

https://community.st.com/thread/49792-sm32l4-interface-with-an-emmc

I am using an STM32L452 chip and trying to fully utilize the SanDisk 8GB eMMC memory (

SDINBDG4-8G

). I have found out that the is no eMMC HAL written for the L4 family. Because of that, I tried STM32F412, as it uses SDIO not SDMMC peripheral (the same thing but other name?), and it has HAL written. I have found out however, that as pointed out here

it doesnt work. There are no examples of eMMC usage in STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.0. From the code it also seems that it only supports memories up to 2 GB. Trying to use the code I was unable to write anything to the momory, like the mentioned topic, even though over a year passed since it was posted.

At the moment I have a serious design dilemma. I cannot afford the time to write the driver from scratch or try to fix the existing one. Could I please ask for an explanation what is the state of the eMMC driver for each STM32F4 and STM32L4 devices, do they indeed not work? Is there a way to make them work? Also, what is the real difference between SDIO which F4 utilize and SDMMC peripherals which L4 utilize? I would appreciate all help.

https://community.st.com/people/DAHMEN.IMEN

‌ ?

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.

42 REPLIES 42
Posted on June 18, 2018 at 17:19

The mechanics here have been confirmed across 16, 32 and 128GB eMMC chips from SAMSUNG and via external observation of 4 and 8GB eMMC chips from SanDisk that a number of different forum participants have tested.

The support for eMMC has been ported and tested on F4, L4, F7 and H7 platforms using the ODROID eMMC modules/adapters.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 25, 2018 at 11:57

No, i did not modify the MMC HAL layer.

can u please tell me steps to edit cubemx generated sdio code for supporting emmc iam using 4gb emmc.or can u support with some sample code.

did u get it working?can you help me with sample code i am trying to interface emmc with stm32l4

Hi,
Please talk to Clive.

can you provide me some instruction to modify sdio to work for emmc

Yes, have eMMC working on several L4 platforms, and a wide selection of STM32 models and boards. Support for 4 and 8-bit devices. Usually provide as a customized demo for specific board implementations. Please contact privately for a quote.

Hi

Is it working in 4 or 8bit mode?

Kind regards​

Have stuff working in 4 and 8-bit mode on F4, L4, F7 and H7 platforms. Some of the latter have DDR modes.

Most of the platforms are easier to test in 4-bit mode via the SD Card interfaces, the 8-bit systems tend to be on customer boards. Really just a matter of configuring the pins, and selecting 8B wide mode into the SDIO/SDMMC peripheral library.

Hi,

Please share the attachements again as I am working on the same thing

Thanks