Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F103RB TIM6, TIM7 not defined in CMSIS

Mykola_Levun
Associate III

Hello,
STM32F103RB microcontrollers.
Why do TIM6 and TIM7 timers and its registers not define in CMSIS in stm32f103xb.h file (see Figure 1 below)?

Figure 1

Mykola_Levun_0-1724834558276.png

Therefore, it is impossible to use this TIM6->ARR = 0x0001; instruction and similar to this instruction with registers of TIM6 and TIM7 timers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, TIM6 and TIM7 are not defined because they are simply not present in the STM32F103xB. Only the High Densitity (F103xC/D/E) and XL Density (F103xF/G) devices contain TIM6 and TIM7.

Does it answer your question?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, TIM6 and TIM7 are not defined because they are simply not present in the STM32F103xB. Only the High Densitity (F103xC/D/E) and XL Density (F103xF/G) devices contain TIM6 and TIM7.

Does it answer your question?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Yes,
I see this in the datasheet of STM32F103x8, STM32F103xB microcontrollers in the Table 4 (see Figure 2 below).

Mykola_Levun_0-1724837947462.png

Table 4 also shows that STM32F103xx have TIM1, 2, 3 and 4. TIM3 and TIM4 not included in RM0008 Reference manual. Why?

Hello @Mykola_Levun 

the RM0008 is the reference manual for STM32F101xx, STM32F102xx, STM32F103xx, STM32F105xx and
STM32F107xx.  So, it describes all interfaces and APIs available on all those series. For the Specification of each model, you need to check the Datasheet. It gives info and details about a Few MCUs. So the details should be there.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello,

The information is provided in the datasheet.

The device stm32f103xb is a 128kB of Flash device which is the medium-density.

As you can see in Table 3 from the datasheet, the two basic timers TIM6 and TIM7 are available only on High-density devices.

SofLit_1-1724840164600.png

Hope it does answer your question.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello @STTwo-32 
That's understandable, but I want to know how to use TIM3 and TIM4 (description, registers, functional blocks and the like). But TIM3 and TIM4 did not include in RM0008 Reference manual. Why?

@Mykola_Levun wrote:

but I want to know how to use TIM3 and TIM4 (description, registers, functional blocks and the like). But TIM3 and TIM4 did not include in RM0008 Reference manual. Why?

Sorry but you are talking about TIM6 and TIM7 which are not available and was explained why. TIM3 and TIM4 are available (see your post above)!

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Yes, TIM3 and TIM4 are available, but why did TIM3 and TIM4 not include in RM0008 Reference manual.

They are available as General-purpose timers TIM2 to TIM5:

SofLit_0-1724841123427.png

But that was not your original question. Please accept as solution the comment that answered your question.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm just learning English so I didn't pay attention to the word "to" between TIM2 and TIM5.