cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link V2 Connection Issue

My V2 is having communication link issues with my STVP.  It was running fine and then boom I get hit with a notification that

"Cannot communicate with the device!

Check the SWD cable connection and check all the needed pin connections on the SWD connector. 

Reboot the ST-Link with USB cable.

If the device has been programmed with Protection Level 2, no more communication is possible."

What can I do to fix the issue?  I am not sure how to reboot the ST-Link with the usb cable nor understand why all of a sudden there would be a protection level on the device.  I am sorry I am not very tech savy I have been thrown onto this project. 

I did have to install the driver once I noticed the connection issue on the device manager.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The RDP option byte is set to 0xCC:

STTwo32_1-1725639201232.png

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @LostSauceMeatBall and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

If a device is in Protection Level 2, it is not possible to recover the MCU. You should have a new one.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

How does a device get a Protection Level 2?

The RDP option byte is set to 0xCC:

STTwo32_1-1725639201232.png

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

Is it something on my PC that causes this or is the chip that I am connecting to that is causing the brick?  I have hundreds of units to reprogram, I am now worried I will have to get more of these MCU to finish the job.

Typically there needs to be code or action to cause this to occur.

Connectivity loss can result from low power modes being entered, code reconfigures the GPIO pins/banks, interfering with PA13/PA14 or others.

Connected to other circuits, damage could occur rendering the device or supplies unusable.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Yeah, I'm not sure anyone here is familiar with your specific setup or programming methodology

Using STVP to do what?

What STM32 are we talking about here ?

Can you use STM32 Cube Programmer ?

Are you configuring the Option Bytes, how / why ?

RDP2 is designed to prevent code extraction, and lock JTAG, by YOU or an adversary.

My approach might be for the code to determine if it's currently protected, or not, and deploy protection once programmed / or post final-test.

If you protect the device you'd need to be providing your own methodology to upgrade or configure it subsequently.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..