cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Channel ADC with DMA giving garbage results and values that are larger than 4096

CDyer.1
Senior

Hi guys,

I'm looking to implement ADC and DMA with HAL on a F767. I want the ADC to be always converting and storing to memory via DMA until it reaches the buffer limit of 320 and then I want to go to a conversion complete callback function. ADC seems to be enabled fine and it converts values up to the buffer limit and then it goes to the conversion callback routine. The problem I'm having is when I check the ADC buffer in the conversion complete callback function is that the first half of the ADC buffer (exactly the first half, 0 to 160) is full of these values when the ADC input is ground:

0693W000000VslrQAC.png I'd expect values anywhere from 0 to about 15 at the worst, so it is partially consistent.

When I connect the ADC to 3V I would expect close to 4096 but instead I get:

0693W000000VslGQAS.png

As the values ARE lower when the ADC is connected to ground and higher when the ADC is connected to 3V they're not completely garbage values, it's not just random values stored in memory. Also, after the first half of the buffer, everything is just zeroes so I'm thinking that maybe I've configured the ADC wrong.

//this code before main
#define ADC_BUFFER_LENGTH	340		//5000khz signal / 1.67 Msps = 334 samples

uint32_t ADC_Val[ADC_BUFFER_LENGTH];

//this code after main but before while loop
HAL_ADC_Start_DMA(&hadc1, ADC_Val, ADC_BUFFER_LENGTH);

static void MX_ADC1_Init(void)
{

/* USER CODE BEGIN ADC1_Init 0 */
//ADC operating @ 1.6MHz - 100MHz/4 = 25MHz
//25MHz/(12+3) = 1.67Msps
  /* USER CODE END ADC1_Init 0 */

ADC_ChannelConfTypeDef sConfig = {0};

/* USER CODE BEGIN ADC1_Init 1 */

/* USER CODE END ADC1_Init 1 */
  /** Configure the global features of the ADC (Clock, Resolution, Data Alignment and number of conversion) 
  */
  hadc1.Instance = ADC1;
  hadc1.Init.ClockPrescaler = ADC_CLOCK_SYNC_PCLK_DIV4;
  hadc1.Init.Resolution = ADC_RESOLUTION_12B;
  hadc1.Init.ScanConvMode = ADC_SCAN_DISABLE;
  hadc1.Init.ContinuousConvMode = ENABLE;
  hadc1.Init.DiscontinuousConvMode = DISABLE;
  hadc1.Init.ExternalTrigConvEdge = ADC_EXTERNALTRIGCONVEDGE_NONE;
  hadc1.Init.ExternalTrigConv = ADC_SOFTWARE_START;
  hadc1.Init.DataAlign = ADC_DATAALIGN_RIGHT;
  hadc1.Init.NbrOfConversion = 1;
  hadc1.Init.DMAContinuousRequests = DISABLE;
  hadc1.Init.EOCSelection = ADC_EOC_SINGLE_CONV;
  if (HAL_ADC_Init(&hadc1) != HAL_OK)
  {
    Error_Handler();
  }

How can I approach debugging the issue if there is nothing obviously wrong with the code? I'm slowly becoming more comfortable with debugging rather than the trial and error approach

2 REPLIES 2
LGuim.2
Associate

Hi,

I know this topic is old, but I'm having the exact same problem.

Did you resolve it ?

thx

Yes, it was because I was using a 32 bit integer when the ADC only accepts 16 bit. Effectively my garbage results where due to it being shifted to the right by 16 bits. Set your ADC buffer as uint16_t and the problem is solved.