cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read wrong content of MCU's internal flash

AlexHalf
Associate III

Hello

I am working in dual bank mode with STM32G474RET6 MCU. 

I want to store some default values in internal flash beyond last programmed firmware's data address.

For example I have following contents in flash (shown from STM32CubeProgrammer):

AlexHalf_0-1704730435486.png

Data starting at address 0x0804B040 (default values I stored) read as 0xFF. While data before this address as 0x41, 0x53 and etc.. is read correctly.

I tried to store defaults values even at the last blank page starting from address 0x0807F800, but also the same phenomenon - even I verify that it stored correctly - it is read as 0xFF.

Tried to read values with debugger - and in this mode it is working and read correctly.

What could be the problem? Is it some kind of issue with linker and etc??

Please suggest me a solution.

My read code for testing:

#define FLASH_DEFAULTS_FLAG_ADD 0x0804B040
#define FLASH1_DEFAULT_VAL_ADD 0x0804B041
#define FLASH2_DEFAULT_VAL_ADD 0x0804B042

uint32_t flash_address ;
__IO uint8_t read_data = 0;

if (HcArg == 0)
flash_address = FLASH_DEFAULTS_FLAG_ADD;
else if (HcArg == 1)
flash_address = FLASH1_DEFAULT_VAL_ADD;
else if (HcArg == 2)
flash_address = FLASH2_DEFAULT_VAL_ADD;
else flash_address = FLASH_DEFAULTS_FLAG_ADD;
read_data = *(__IO uint8_t *)(flash_address);

Thank you.

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello

I solved this issue. 

It was flash remapping while working with my STM32G474RET6 in dual bank mode. I discovered that reading values burned to Flash at address 0x807F800 produced different results depending on whether the MCU was running the application image or the boot image.

When the MCU was running the application image (burned at BANK 2 address starting from 0x8040000), reading from 0x807F800 yielded incorrect results.

When the MCU was running the boot image (burned at BANK 1 address starting from 0x8000000), reading from 0x807F800 worked as expected.

Solution: To ensure correct reading of the values from the application image, I adjusted the reading address (in my application image) in my firmware code: I shifted the logical address 0x807F800 to address 0x8037F00.

While I managed to resolve this challenge, I'd appreciate any further insights or references from the community. Specifically, I'm interested in understanding:

Are there specific sections or details in the STM32G474 Reference Manual that I may have missed, which explain this remapping behavior in more detail?

Has anyone else encountered similar situations with dual bank mode and remapping in STM32 devices?

Thank you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TDK
Guru

Flash isn't random access memory. To write to flash, you must unlock the flash, ensure the location you're writing to is erased, and then write the value. Additionally, on the STM32G4 series, you must write 64-bits at a time, aligned.

See "Flash program and erase operations" in the reference manual.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hard to say.

Perhaps write as words and not as bytes, I don't recall what the flash line widths is with the STM32G4, but let's assume it's not 8-bits, and probably more like 64-bits

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
AlexHalf
Associate III

Hello

The problem is not with write (for this I unlock flash, erase, align data for programming to 8 bytes as written in manual, program, verify and lock the flash).

All data programming (and verification) done by firmware burned at Bank 1. Also, in addition to verification after programming I see that values are written correctly to flash (to correct addresses) by reading these values with STM32CubeProgrammer.

Next read of these values I want to perform by firmware burned at Bank 2 and here I have a value reading problem.

So, the problem is only with reading these values (while reading by running debugger of firmware at Bank 2 - is ok).

AScha.3
Chief II

from rm:

AScha3_0-1704735342294.png

So try read with uint64 or 128, depending on your chip/+bank, maybe working better . 🙂

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Can you show an equivalent dump from application space?

Is the application mapping the first or second bank?

Dump 0x0804B040 and 0x0800B040

Dump FLASH_OPTR /  32-bit word at 0x1FFF7800

Can you use a page that's not involved in the end of the firmware image itself?

Hello

Tried to use page not adjacent to the firmware like last page address - 0x0807F800.

The dump of the correct programmed bytes: 

AlexHalf_0-1704743958041.png

I burn and verify these bytes (with during burning process from 'boot' image located at Bank 1 (0x8000000 starting address).

Code from burning process (with uint8_t) - that read correctly burned bytes at 0x0807F800:

// Verify programmed data
  for (uint32_t i = 0; i < FlashBuffLength; i++)
      {
    flash_data = *(__IO uint8_t *)(FlashProgAddr + i);

if (flash_data != FlashProgramData[i])
    ret_code = 1;
       }

From boot image I 'jump' to application image at Bank 2 (starting address 0x8040000). This image should read the values burned starting from address 0x807F800 (and as you see above - the values are burned).

Dump of FLASH_OPTR:

AlexHalf_1-1704744244785.pngAlexHalf_2-1704744339480.pngAlexHalf_3-1704744364147.png

And this is WORKING? Or NOT?

Get printf() working so you can see content via code in the app dumping the words it sees independently of the debugger. And without screen shooting from the tools. Trying to establish how the MCU see's it's world.

The content should be the same whether read a byte or word at a time

Show the differences you see in the not-working cases

Hello

I solved this issue. 

It was flash remapping while working with my STM32G474RET6 in dual bank mode. I discovered that reading values burned to Flash at address 0x807F800 produced different results depending on whether the MCU was running the application image or the boot image.

When the MCU was running the application image (burned at BANK 2 address starting from 0x8040000), reading from 0x807F800 yielded incorrect results.

When the MCU was running the boot image (burned at BANK 1 address starting from 0x8000000), reading from 0x807F800 worked as expected.

Solution: To ensure correct reading of the values from the application image, I adjusted the reading address (in my application image) in my firmware code: I shifted the logical address 0x807F800 to address 0x8037F00.

While I managed to resolve this challenge, I'd appreciate any further insights or references from the community. Specifically, I'm interested in understanding:

Are there specific sections or details in the STM32G474 Reference Manual that I may have missed, which explain this remapping behavior in more detail?

Has anyone else encountered similar situations with dual bank mode and remapping in STM32 devices?

Thank you.

I kinda skimmed the docs, and didn't see any "BPB" bank remapping / swapping option.

Just the serial / parallel mapping of the space, ie where you can either have two linear banks, end-to-end, or have them side-by-side effectively doubling the flash line width, but losing the independent programmability.

Some of the other STM32 models allow for the flipping, front-back sense, allowing two images built at 0x08000000 to be present, and selectively choosing which maps first.