cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to disable external reset on STM32G4?

jacobq
Associate III

I am aware of the special bits to stop the IWDG and WWDG while the core is halted, but is there a way (option byte, SWD command, SFR, etc.) to configure an STM32G4 so that it will ignore the nRST pin being pulled low?

I am particularly interested in being able to reprogram the MCU using SWD without being disrupted by an external supervisory IC. I am guessing this is not possible without changing hardware (forcing reset high with debug pod or appeasing the supervisory IC) but wanted to check. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

Yes, on the STM32G4 series you can set the NRST_MODE option byte to 10 so the PG10/NRST pin functions only as a GPIO.

TDK_0-1723173285163.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

Yes, on the STM32G4 series you can set the NRST_MODE option byte to 10 so the PG10/NRST pin functions only as a GPIO.

TDK_0-1723173285163.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
jacobq
Associate III

Thank you for the suggestion! I had forgotten about the option of changing the pin function in software. Is this possible to do via SWD (without having a running program)? The problem I'm trying to solve is performing the initial programming without splitting the program into a small loader (which can be programmed fast enough to avoid reset and then refresh the watchdog IC while it programs the application section).

Yes, you can change the option bytes using STM32CubeProgrammer in the OB tab. Ther is also a command-line version of STM32CubeProgrammer that you could use. SWD will connect if no program is loaded.