cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need guidance for custom hardware design

mbed_engr
Associate II

hi st-community,
as i'm newbie embd engr.,i have limited knowledge of using to select mcu or mpu in stelectronics or any.so please suggest me for custom hardware making using stm32..as i have basic understanding of st-world..from past 5 month.

I have tested the STM32F769I-DISCO for 12-lead ECG data acquisition and printing using a thermal printer, with a GUI  TouchGFX as the basis. Now, I need to finalize the choice of chip for our multi-parameter patient monitor application.
1. is there any way for developing custom HW like using project files for discovery board to import in altium and able to customize to our need ..thats all i needed to do..
2.  I've selected the STM32MP15 (dual core -800mhz main) as my processor for better handling, especially for external RAM memory like LPDDR3. Considering future development, would starting with custom hardware based on the high-level STM32MP15 be the best option?
3.where, my previous post, i didn't get replay..where they told f7 is suitable for my application.,but i have doubt,that single core is capable for using upto 4 - continuous vital sign at a time.and not struck with handling range of 10.1 -15.1 inch display..

so,please confirm, which chip has usable without limitation,..also.,if it have more cost impact on using MPU rather than MCU??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

ST provides "bare metal" libraries for STM32MP1 similar to what you have seen on STM32F7.

But the real value of STM32MP1 is that it can run Linux. As the proverb goes, "Linux is free but not cheap". To deal with Linux you for sure will need a software professional. Then better use Raspberry Pi.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

ST provides "bare metal" libraries for STM32MP1 similar to what you have seen on STM32F7.

But the real value of STM32MP1 is that it can run Linux. As the proverb goes, "Linux is free but not cheap". To deal with Linux you for sure will need a software professional. Then better use Raspberry Pi.

It's perhaps unrealistic to expect the forum to staff your project, your boss or peers should be providing primary support / direction on your project, or consultants your company engages.

As Pavel indicates Linux is free, but all the support burden fall on you. Unless you've got the staff to support development best to stick to reference designs, or those with an already large/heavy project support community around them, beyond the vendor. The vendor's priorities are not aligned with yours, and they can/will change direction when it suits THEM.

It's not the physical size of the screen that's the issue with these MCU/MPU, it's the resolution. The 2-Lane DSI is perhaps limited to around 1388x768 RESOLUTION. If you need something more capable, you'd be better suited looking to solutions tailored for the Tablet market. Large screens want wide memory interfaces, so high pin count devices. BGA's are unworkable for many due to the density, ball escape, and lack of probe-ability / rework.

Most ST boards come with schematics, gerbers, etc under the "CAD Resources" tab, these will use products ST choses, you'll have to import/export into whatever tools you choose to use.

How much RAM and processor resources do you actually need? The human body is relatively slow compared to those of an oscilloscope, or software-defined-radio application. Do you need more than 256MB of RAM? Code beyond 256MB, storage beyond a few dozen GB ?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi Delorean,

I apologize for the multiple inquiries but appreciate your consistent support. presently, we got clear vision from our boss who is not technical person. So, only i'm struggling slightly. On developing an ECG machine similar to the Mortara ELI 280, rather than a full patient monitor. At this stage, we need to interface a display with the STM32F769-DISCO and Nucleo H743ZI boards.

We have a specific requirement to integrate a 10.1-inch IVDS display with a resolution of 1920x720. Could you advise on the best method for this? Is it feasible to convert the MIPI DSI output of the STM32F769 to LVDS, or should we design a small PCB for interfacing LVDS with the STM32F769, guided by the datasheet?

We currently have the Innolux DJ103IA-03B display with a 50-pin connector available for this project, so we need to find a compatible interfacing solution.

Thank you for your guidance.

Best regards,