cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need clarification on Data storing in EEPROM

yashaswini
Associate II

Hello ST community,

I am working with STM32L4R5ZI-P, I am to write data to EEPROM, starting address fro EEPROM _emulation mentioned as 0x080FF000 ,so I took 0x080FF010,here data writing to next location I will provide the snap of that for your reference,eeprom-0.jpg

In the above data is updating in 0x080FF020 location may i know why it is happening.

In the next in the 0th position it writing with some values ,may i know what are those values?eeprom-2.jpgeeprom_1.jpg

I am writing different data like 0x00007897 like this, after that it has some values like 20B4F010 what is this?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

Looks like a shifted / encoded value.

You have all the source code, perhaps you could walk that to understand the mechanics if that's important to you?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thanks for the response,

I was curious to know why it is happening so I posted here.

I'll make sure to review the source code thoroughly to gain a deeper understanding of the software.

Thank you

The EEPROM Emulation is designed to journal content over multiple sectors/pages, so it can recover the last written values, and manage erase. It has to cover a lot of potential use cases.

If you can better understand what it is you need to store you can likely tailor a much narrower solution that is more efficient and robust.

EEPROM Emulation is a bit of a hack, in most cases the design needs refactoring properly to use OTP, FLASH, NVRAM, and RAM appropriately, depending on the data, and how/if it changes over time.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Absolutely, I agree that EEPROM emulation, while functional, may not always be the best approach for data storage in embedded systems. It's crucial to have a clear understanding of the data you need to store and how it behaves over time. By doing so, you can design a more optimized solution that utilizes various types of memory, like OTP, FLASH, NVRAM, and RAM, based on the specific characteristics of your data. This approach not only improves efficiency but also enhances the system's robustness and reliability by choosing the right storage medium for the job.

Thank you