Did you mean: 

Moving from AVR to STM32 -- starter questions

artvolk
Associate II
Posted on January 05, 2011 at 12:18

Moving from AVR to STM32 -- starter questions

18 REPLIES 18
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:20

Pull a couple of jumpers, and hook up a couple of wires would suffice for the SWD interface. Bit kludgy for my tastes, but $10 is pretty cheap for the JTAG/SWD function. ST lists the supported CPU models on their website somewhere.

I think the WinARM and WinAVR both use GCC compilers, WinARM is certainly capable of generating viable STM32 code. I can't speak to it's effectiveness for debugging.

http://winarm.scienceprog.com/winarm-tools/what-are-differences-between-winarm-and-winavr.html

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
artvolk
Associate II

Thank you all for the responses!

I do want simple debugging support out of the box, that's one of the reasons I've ordered ST32VL-Discovery (haven't got it yet, though).

As far as I can tell from these and other forums, I have two possibilities to get OnChip debug support:

- Use STM32 Discovery with IAR or Keil (limited free versions or commercial)

- Use CoLinkEx (free, but works at least with F103 line)

Have I missed any options?

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

''I do want simple debugging support out of the box''

I can confirm that the free Keil Evaluation download will do this.

I would very much suspect that IAR will, too (but haven't tried it).

Tomas DRESLER
Senior II

Wrong piece? Nowadays Keil, IAR and others support ST-Link as a debug tool, too, and they have libraries for it integrated!

artvolk
Associate II

Thank you for the quick and accurate responses! Can't wait when my STM32VL-Discovery arrive 🙂

leszek2
Associate II

i`m using usbscarab and oocdlink debuggers, both with usb + codesourcery + openocd + eclipse + zylin.

there is huge tutorial but unfortunatelly in polish, but you can translate it with google:

http://www.freddiechopin.info/index.php/pl/artykuly/35-arm/59-arm-toolchain-tutorial

those debuggers are very cheap, below 20$, the rest are free to download and use from internet.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

''i`m using usbscarab and oocdlink debuggers, both with usb + codesourcery + openocd + eclipse + zylin''

That's a whole lot of stuff that you've had to obtain, configure, and integrate!

And that is my point: when you get Keil or IAR (probably others), you get a complete package; with ''free'' (sic) open source, it seems to me, you have to put (a great deal of) effort into obtaining and assembling a ''system''

With the paid-for open-source offerings, it seems to me that the thing you pay for is having the supplier do all this work for you... 

Again, this is just the impression of one having looked at it, but not actually done it.

''there is huge tutorial''

It is just ''huge'' because it's so complicated...?

😉

stm2399
Associate II

Not excactly a Linux port of ST-Link

How about Versaloon ported to run on the JTAG part of the STM8S or the STM32VL.

I just ported versaloon (SWD only) to the above board , and now i can program my STM32VL - value-line chip , on Ubuntu 10.04.

Using just the STM32VL  USB cable & versaloon vsprog or OOCD

See

http://www.versaloon.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17&start=0

/Bingo

lastsamurai
Associate III

Hey,

What happened?  I also started using it, and works well for me..

Cheers,

Sam