cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Frequency for Bypass mode

Chubs
Associate III

Hello Community,

I am working on a use case where I have 4 remote MCUs that ideally should be synced with a host MCU. I however have no way to even install an external precision Clock source on these remote MCU's (due to various environmental & budget limitations), while I can accept a precision reference clock signal from any external device that is off-board ie of PCB via one available differential channel on my CAT6e cables. I wish to seek your insights to confirm my assumptions & clear my doubts if I can use this external Clock source to clock the HSE & replace the lower +-5% stability internal 16Mhz HSI on STM32G0B0 MCUs.

Point #1:

The Datasheet does NOT mention any minimum frequency for the external clock signal to HSE as input clock refernce, so in theory (for sake to my understanding) does this mean I can use a signal as low as 32Khz for driving the MCU? Or am I missing something obvious here?

The Datasheet mentions no minimu frequency limit for an external clock sourceThe Datasheet mentions no minimu frequency limit for an external clock source

Then in theory, can I also use a stable 50/60Hz signal that is available to clock the MCU?

Point #2:

Further I am confused, as the Datsheet of the STM32G0B0RET6 mentions the HSI16 has +-5% stability on the first page, while the internal page on clock charectiristics mentions it has ~1.25% stability 

Clock characteristics mentioned inside the DatasheetClock characteristics mentioned inside the Datasheet

Clock stability mentioned on the front page of the same Datasheet!Clock stability mentioned on the front page of the same Datasheet!

I am confused, is this a major typo in the datasheet or am I missing something here?

Your insights shall be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

1) No minimum, correct. But note that PLL has minimums which will give you a restriction if you use PLL for anything. Note that 50/60 Hz mains frequency is not particularly accurate either.

The reference manual will give you more information. The PLL restrictions are listed there.

2) Seems like a typo to me. The "features" section is less accurate in general in my experience.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

1) No minimum, correct. But note that PLL has minimums which will give you a restriction if you use PLL for anything. Note that 50/60 Hz mains frequency is not particularly accurate either.

The reference manual will give you more information. The PLL restrictions are listed there.

2) Seems like a typo to me. The "features" section is less accurate in general in my experience.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Chubs 

thank you for your request.  I will check this internally and come back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hi again @Chubs 

Thank you for having reported this issue.

An internal ticket (number: 167147) is submitted to escalate this issue internally for check and analysis.
(PS: number 167147 is an internal tracking number and not available outside of ST).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

CMOS, should clock to DC, wants 50/50 duty, VCO frequencies, dividers, and comparison frequency should limit viable rates for PLL

Most power distribution these days is monitored by GPS

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..