cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum external clock frequency for STM32H5 timers

ichudakov
Associate II

What is the maximum clock source frequency can I use as an external clock for timer?

I have a 20MHz source and PLL frequency made out of this source. The purpose - generate lower frequency pulses that synchronous to that 20MHz clock with controlled delay. I can get 100MHz, 120MHz, 140Mhz, 160 MHz out of that PLL for delay of less or more precision and would like to know what will I be able to get.

It could be easy made with FPGA, but since ST got such high speed MCU, I hope I can do it just with a MCU. MCU will be needed anyway.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AScha.3
Chief II

from H563 ds:

AScha3_0-1700252230092.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AScha.3
Chief II

from H563 ds:

AScha3_0-1700252230092.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I see, 125MHz, than.

Thanks

But the TIM's on the STM32 aren't very flexible / functional at all.

Integer dividers, single counting element, 4 channels. Saturated by interrupts into the few hundred KHz

Ok for generating 4x 50 Hz Servo signals.

I'd imagine you could do something a lot better with a CPLD, and perhaps an adder circuit instead of a counter. ie simple phase adder for NCO / DDS

There is a clock domain synchronizer on the front end to get the input clock into the 150 MHz domain

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ichudakov
Associate II

Played last Friday. With 100MHz for the beginning.

The main problem for my task - the trigger can't have a shorter period than the counting timer. I mean, if I use a PWM or one pulse output, for example, the trigger signal should come, at least, right after the pulse finished. Better with some delay after the pulse.

That means I have to use FPGA. CPLD like Altera MAX V would be great for my task, but Intel still have problems with its production, Xilinx/AMD does not have modern CPLDs. Tried to look into Lattice - small ones won't work for me, big ones are not much cheaper than small Spartan 7. And I never worked with Lattice yet.