cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for the more on security documentation for Tamper implementation

meghasb
Senior
Hi everyone,

Can someone pls help on this, for our project we are implementing the Tamper(STM32U585 board), we want to know more about the tamper how can we implement with the different approach, so we are looking for the more detailed documents on the tamper, if u could help me on the any documents or any process or source where we connect to get these documents for our project. If someone could help us on this would be a great help. 

5 REPLIES 5
Danish1
Lead II

What documents have you looked at so far?

I would expect it to be detailed in the Reference Manual for your stm32.

Typically stm32 tamper is a low-power way of sensing when a pin state changes. Your external circuitry needs to detect when tampering occurs (e.g. opening the box - perhaps by way of a microswitch, or powering-up after removal of a screening-can - the can shorts the pin to ground).

In the event of tamper, the stm32 can clear a specific block of memory and/or record the time the tamper-event took place. This can happen even when the stm32 is in very-low-power modes such as sleep or stop. But some power must still be present - perhaps from a back-up battery, supercapacitor or coin cell.

It's then up to your main code (when normal power is restored if necessary) to check if tamper happened and do whatever you feel appropriate. This might be as simple as refusing to work until a special password is entered, or you might choose to erase the FLASH and brick the device.

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @meghasb ,

I advise you to have a look at this AN4759 which explains Tamper management.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Thanku @Danish1 . it was helpful. but i need more detailed info, as I'm already referring the reference maula for the same.

Thanku @Imen.D , ill go through it. 

thanks for the reply, i need one info, i need to implement 2 tamper pin (1 as i/p and 1 as o/p) and measure the pulses while one will be sending and other will be receiving. over all i want to implement PWM for these tamper pins, is it possible to do so? or if not any other way to implement tamper with PWM?