Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JTAG on Nucleo STM32 L152RE

Giovanni Camurati
Associate II
Posted on September 26, 2017 at 18:04

Hello,

as part of a larger project, I want to connect  a custom JTAG-based debugger to the Cortex M3 present on the Nucleo STM32 L152RE.

My debugger has already been fully tested on other development boards and works correctly.

I have connected each of the JTAG cables to the proper pins of the nucleo following the available documentation and I have disconnected the ST-link jumpers.

However, this configuration does not work (no meaningful signal on TDO).

I have not found any useful information online and all my experiments failed.

Is there any other step I should do to be able to use the JTAG?

Thank you in advance!

#stm32-jtag
6 REPLIES 6
Posted on September 26, 2017 at 18:45

Hello!

0690X00000608OPQAY.png

Circled labels are from MCU. As you can see JTDO PB3 is still connected to STLINK  via SB15

https://my.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/98/2e/fa/4b/e0/82/43/b7/DM00105823.pdf/files/DM00105823.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00105823.pdf

Regards

vf

Posted on September 26, 2017 at 19:36

CN2 only disconnects the SWDIO(TMS)/SWCLK(TCLK) internally. The NRST and SWO(JTDO) need to be broken via solder bridges to prevent potential conflicts.

When using DISCO and NUCLEO boards it is important to thoroughly review the schematic, especially with the signals of interest, to understand internal connectivity, and if solder bridges are used to get to pin headers, etc.

Review also other pin utilization that might conflict with your chosen use case.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on September 26, 2017 at 19:56

Thank you for the prompt reply!

T_SWO and T_NRST are connected not only to CN4 but also to the STLINK, and my mistake was not noticing the second part.

Thank you very much.

GC

Posted on September 26, 2017 at 19:57

Thank you for the prompt reply!

T_SWO and T_NRST are connected not only to CN4 but also to the STLINK, and my mistake was not noticing the second part.

Thank you very much.

GC

HBhan
Associate

Hii everyone,

I am a beginner in ST microcontrollers. Presently i am using STM32F446RE .Whenever i am trying to program the STM i am getting error as "TARGET NOT CONNECTED" ," FLASH DOWNLOAD FAILED TARGET DLL HAS BEEN CANCELLED."When i opened the NODE446RE DRIVE,I opened the FAil Notepad file which displays "The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU".Can anyone help me out?

Please open a new topic for questions unrelated to the thread.

Check you have jumpers on CN2

Did it ever work? What happened immediately before it failed?

Check the voltages on the board.

Open in some other application? Another instance of Keil or ST-LINK Utilities?

You could just have damaged the device

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..