cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this just a notice or is it an error?

imarz.1
Associate III

When I try to run a project in Release I get this message:

No source available for "Reset_Handler() at 0x80007c4"

What does this mean ?

I do not see it in debug, and BTW I did set the mode to Release...

7 REPLIES 7

It means whatever you're debugging doesn't look consistent with the code/build PC side.

For example, it is in some boot loader at the front of FLASH, and you're trying to debug some application that's loaded deeper in FLASH, ie 0x08008000 or 0x08010000 basis.

So

Context Sensitive

Might not actually be a problem, but you'd need to understand your own system/creation.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

"I did set the mode to Release"

Which may (probably?) means that no debug information is produced by the build - so it won't be able to tie-up code addresses to source lines

Yeah, but I am in Release Run, which means no debug info, so why does it need to report that there is no debug information ? Kind of a strange behavior !

And yet you're running it in the debugger. And it's trying to show you something.

The linker still generates symbols, and there's still a .MAP file.

The message most frequently occurs when the debugger stops or break-points in an area not described by the currently executing code, or related linker script. Finds itself somewhere it doesn't expect to be.

Why it's doing this in this situation is unclear, could be a bug, or related to circumstances. You'll need to zoom out a bit further to see the bigger picture.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

See, I am new to STMicro, and this is confusing to me.

When I do Release run I do see:

Waiting for debugger connection...

Debugger connected

Debugger connected

Why does it invoke the debugger in a Release build?

I am using Nucleo board which has ST-Link V3 on it.

Could that be it ? If so, then what is the difference between Debug, and Release builds ?

Thanks.

"I am new to STMicro"

Are you familiar with any other microcontroller(s)?

"Why does it invoke the debugger in a Release build?"

It's you that's invoking the debugger - by choosing the 'Run' feature.

If you just want to program the device, then let it run standalone, just use the programmer.

Yes, I used multiple other microcontrollers for many years, but I am new to STmicro.

I got it figured out. It is just wording issue.

STmicro uses "Waiting for debugger...Debugger connected" during both Debug, and Release runs, and this is confusing to new users like me, because if I am in Release mode why do you connect to debugger? I think they should instead change the wording to:

Waiting for programmer connection...

Programmer connected

This is what other companies use.

"Programmer" works fine for both Debug, and Release runs.

But "Debugger" while it is OK in Debug mode, it is not appropriate in Release mode.