cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any plans for MCU that has STM32F407 specs, but has CAN-FD interfaces instead of CAN?

Alexander Novikov
Associate II

12 REPLIES 12

I am porting from STM32F107, this is why STM32F407 is preferable - it has a lots of compatible stuff.

Take a look at the STM32H750 "value line" if your firmware would fit in 128k.

I don't think there'd ever be an STM32F4 with FDCAN - think about it, it would break compatibility across the STM32F4 series.

Porting nontrivial codebase from 'F1 all the way through 'H7 is IMO a hard and bumpy road with potentially major debugging ahead. It of course depends on the nature of the code, the ratio between "true controller" and "general purpose" code.

Now, we are not insiders here, but as others pointed out, it's unlikely ST will add a Cortex-M4 with both ETH/LCD and "controller" stuff like CAN is. The 'F4 came around when the Cortex-M7 was not ready yet. Note that their newest addition, 'G4, used up the "4" number, and is straighforwardly targeted at the 'F3 area of applications (i.e. motor). ETH goes together with LCD more into the "general computing" and "needs more horsepower" area, that's why they pair up better with the Cortex-M7.

So, in short, I wouldn't hold my breath. If you don't want to go the bumpy road, you may try the multi-chip way (either external CAN controller, or cooperating MCUs, one with CAN other with ETH) - although that's not obstacle-less and not price-optimal either, I know.

JW