cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is CubeIDE generated DMA Interrupt code necessary \ what triggers it?

KHarb.1
Senior

I’m using CubeIDE + STM32G4 to configure DMA transfers and I’m a bit confused by the interrupt code it generates.  Configuring DMA transfers on TIM8 defaults 'DMA1 Channel1 global interrupt' to enabled and generates a DMA1_Channel1_IRQ_Handler function. The point of using DMA is to avoid using interrupt code, so I’m hoping this is unnecessary bloat. How much of this code has to exist?

I ran some tests on the how the DMA interrupt functions and I see that it triggers when TIM8 receives a reset signal via ITR9 triggered by TIM20 CH1 output compare. I’m not sure how I deduce\configure what events trigger the DMA1 global interrupt. (Ideally I won’t even have one.) Where in the reference manual could I have read to find out that resetting TIM8 like this would activate the DMA interrupt?
1 REPLY 1

DMA is unaware of what triggers it. In other words, the DMA interrupts are not triggered from the peripheral which triggers DMA; they are triggered from DMA. There are three events when the single-port DMA in 'G4 interrupts: Half Complete, Transfer Complete, and Transfer Error. Read the DMA chapter in RM.

That Cube interwebs DMA and TIM and interrupt and whatever code, for whatever purpose, is Cube's thing. I don't use Cube.

JW