cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSE "overclocking" ?

LCE
Principal

Heyho,

anybody ever put more than 50 MHz from an active oscillator to an F767 / H723 / H735 HSE input?

I need a VCO there, and I have a few with 51.2 MHz, so less than +5% over.

I'm pretty sure it won't damage anything, but before I start (de-) soldering these terrible pin-less packages, I better ask.

6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

It will probably work in normal ambient. I would not use it for a mass production.

AScha.3
Chief II

good point.

i used a 45,1584 M oscillator , no problem.

and look at pin speed: io port can drive 220MHz ...so input should do same. (at 11 core speed setting)

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

My expectation is that it will go higher, significantly. The reason it gets tested/characterized up to 50 MHz is for the Ethernet use case.

Perhaps when it comes to testing, build a couple of units with 66 MHz XCO's and run over temperature in a chamber. What you're not going to be able to do, that ST would, is cherry pick devices from the process window corners to use as test subjects.

Alternatively you might also see how much headroom the design has, by pushing in a clock via a frequency generator.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @LCE 

The external clock signal has to respect the I/O static characteristics as referenced in datasheets. Also, we recommend consulting the application note: Oscillator design guide for STM8AF/AL/S, STM32 MCUs and MPUs - Application note

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

This is more of a fHSE max discussion about CMOS sources, say TCXO, VTCXO, OCXO, etc

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LCE
Principal

Thank you all for your input!

I also think that if the input is specified for up to 50 MHz, its actual capability is probably much higher.
Even more so with an active oscillator, so that the STM's crystal circuit is out of the equation.

Will try...