Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to flash/ update STM32 firmware

ADros.1
Associate II

Hi there,

I would like to ask for some help or advice to fix the below:

I want to flash/ update the firmware (.dfu file) of my LILYGO TTGO T-Motion/softRF Dongle which runs on STM32 S76G Lora Chip by using DfuSe Demo

Unfortunately the device is recognized as “STM32 BOOTLOADER�? in Windows device manager instead as “STM Device in DFU Mode�?

What can I do to get this dongle identified correctly? So it becomes visible in DfuSe Demo, under "available DFU devices"?

Thanks a lot!

6 REPLIES 6

Is this actually an issue?

Can't STM32 Cube Programmer find this?

Does it need an .INF to change/alter the name? What requires this?​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

wow did not expect to receive feedback so quickly! Honestly I have no clue, as the original instructions are the following

https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/AcSiP-S7xG-flashing-instructions

using DfuSe und load the .dfu file of the software

bullet point 12 onwards is clear, how to configure the firmware, but before I configure I want to upgrade to the latest RC

I'd appreciate if you could point me to an instruction how achieving the same by using e.g. CubeProgrammer

“STM Device in DFU Mode�? is the naming in the .INF when installing the ST Tube driver (SSTub30.sys), I'd expect if the applications are installed properly these would be loaded, but Microsoft is a moving target, and DfuSe Demo has be deprecated for a few years at this point.

Pretty sure STM32 Cube Programmer has a Manual, the connectivity mode in this context being USB (See pg 18), and I'm sure there's YouTube videos on it. The DFU loader is in ROM, the process of downloading it to a device is fairly robust and can be repeated as often as necessary.

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeprog.html

https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/um2237-stm32cubeprogrammer-software-description-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

You simply can use DfuSe instructions , but this utility is now obsolete and replaced with ...

ADros.1
Associate II

maybe a bold question (since I am new to the topic)

I enable DFU mode on the device (STM32) plug it in USB slot, run STMCubeProgrammer. Then I choose USB and click "connect".

I select the binary files which contain the firmware I would like to flash to my device and click "download"

which is this called "download" when I actually "upload the firmware from my laptop's folder to the USB device?

Plus, is there anything else I should take care of when flushing/ updating the firmware of above mentioned device?

Thanks!!

0693W00000D2Mb0QAF.png

knova.1
Associate

For anyone with this problem.

You can change the windows driver of the LILYGO TTGO T-Motion/softRF Dongle by going to the device manager --> right-clicking the "STM32 BOOTLOADER" device and selecting "update driver". Then you have to navigate to the DfuSe Demo installation folder and there is a "Bin" folder. Inside are folders with drivers for win 7, 8 and 10. (for me in win10 this driver was named: "STtube") Select the appropriate one and you are done.

The LILYGO TTGO T-Motion/softRF Dongle will now be shown as "STM Device in DFU Mode�?.

Good Luck!

Greg