cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I record all sensors on the STEVAL-STWINBX1?

EP.4
Associate II

I have a STEVAL-STWINBX1 (released a few weeks ago). It sports a STM32U585AI MCU.

• The Android app fails to connect to the device.
  • An iPhone app connected but was never able to upgrade its firmware or turn on/off data logging.

I found is repository that claims it is an SDK for my exact device model (STWINBX1), but when I run the recorder suggested here it complains that no device has been detected.

I connected it to my Debian 12 machine via USB-C. The kernel log says:

[945818.718642] usb usb2-port1: attempt power cycle
[945827.214601] usb usb2-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

Or, if I put it in firmware upgrade mode, it says:

[934225.084403] usb 3-8: new full-speed USB device number 44 using xhci_hcd
[934225.306745] usb 3-8: New USB device found, idVendor=0483, idProduct=df11, bcdDevice= 2.00
[934225.306756] usb 3-8: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[934225.306759] usb 3-8: Product: DFU in FS Mode
[934225.306762] usb 3-8: Manufacturer: STMicroelectronics
[934225.306765] usb 3-8: SerialNumber: 2075337F5752

How do I manually verify if the device connected successfully? For example I don't see any new files like /dev/ttyUSB0 or anything.

13 REPLIES 13
EP.4
Associate II

I figured it out. It turns out that the sample device_config.json from the github repository contains an extra zero byte (\00) at the end of the file. My GUI editor was removing it, but if I keep it, the device is able to parse the file/JSON.

There is a second more minor issue. It's not clear if automode can actually record continuously.

"automode": { 
                      "enabled": true,
                      "nof_acquisitions": 60,
                      "start_delay_ms": 1000,
                      "datalog_time_length": 4000,
                      "idle_time_length": 1000,
                      "c_type": 2
                  }

This config ends up recording a single time. It creates the second folder (STWINBOX_00002) but the files in it have zero length. Meanwhile STWINBOX_00001 has a zero-length device_config.json and a missing acquisition file.

It seems that longer idle time is necessary. Probably long enough for the writing operation to finish? Still, 1000 ms is a long time so it's strange. I will keep experimenting.

Thank you very much for your help Simone.

EP.4
Associate II

I have purchased the this SD card recommended in the user manual.

SanDisk 32GB Ultra MicroSDHC UHS-I
SDSQUAR-032G-GN6MA

I have kept all sensors enabled, and experimented with various automode length values. None of them is able to successfully keep recording for more than 4 hours. Eventually the green light turns solid.

So far it's clear that the idle_time_length is an important parameter, possibly related to IO latency causing device data buffer overflow.

I will experiment with turning on the mics which produce the most data.

EP.4
Associate II

So far the longest recording was about 12 hours. I think I stopped it manually.

But I had to disable the microphones, and unfortunately it also requires a 5s idle time between recordings.

SimonePradolini
ST Employee

Hello @Community member​ 

during the last days we were able to replicate your setup using different STWIN.box samples and with all the SD card part number suggested in our user manual.

We received also your detailed support request by mail, with the device_config.json to be tested.

From our side all the acquisitions were successful, also using microphones.

Can you resume which are the remaining issues you are still facing and the missing features you are expecting to be added in FP-SNS-DATALOG2?

We are working on the function pack continuously, so your feedback is really appreciated.

Best regards

Simone

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.