cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering EPR mode failed - USBPD

AVND
Associate II

Hi team,

We have our own customized USBPD board (STM32L562CET6) which support both SPR(100W) and EPR(140W). SPR is working great, now we want to work on 140W using EPR mode. So that initially we have tried to enter EPR mode by following method

#define USBPD_EPRMDO_ACTION_ENTER (uint32_t)(0x01 << 24)

#define USBPD_EPRMDO_DATA_ENTER (uint32_t)(0x8C << 16)

eprmdo[0] = 1; //Header - no.of data objects

eprmdo[1] = USBPD_EPRMDO_ACTION_ENTER | USBPD_EPRMDO_DATA_ENTER;//EPRMDO

status = USBPD_PE_Request_DataMessage(0, USBPD_DATAMSG_EPR_MODE, eprmdo);

But it returns "USBPD_FAIL". Please clarify me that "Is it possible to enter EPR mode by using above mentioned method? If yes, please correct me why i am getting USBPD_FAIL status."

AVND_0-1719926148663.pngAVND_1-1719926178947.png

4 REPLIES 4
FBL
ST Employee

Hi @AVND 

First, using Extended Power Range, according to spec, you can reach up to 240W, 

Second, EPR-capable Source port is defined in USB Type-C 2.3 standards. However, STM32L562 complies with USB Type-C specification release 2.0 as stated in the reference manual (and in datasheet there is a typo). 

FBL_0-1720035242509.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

LLECH.1
ST Employee

Hello AVND,

STMicroelectronics USBPD library for EPR is still under development so you won't be able to build EPR apps with it.

The flow to negociate an EPR contract is not as simple.

You need first to negociate an SPR contract and then enter in EPR mode, then the source can present EPR PDO and you will be able to negociate an EPR contract.

Best Regards,

Hi @FBL @LLECH.1 

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

@LLECH.1 Can you please confirm when will we get an updated firmware version of USBPD which support EPR, is there any timeline that we have to wait for the release? Based on this we will plan accordingly.

@FBL we have tried sink role so please confirm whether we can use the STM32L56 after when EPR version USBPD get released or we need to move on some other MCU which support USB Type-C 2.3 Standards.

AVND
Associate II

Hi Team Any update?