cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encoder Issues with B-G431B-ESC1 and TLI5012BE1000

giova_
Associate II

I have a B-G431B-ESC1 board connected to a 7-pole BLDC motor controlled for speed. I tried connecting the motor's Hall sensors and running it via MotorPilot 6.2.1, both with a 6-step algorithm and an FOC algorithm, both generated with Workbench 6.2.1 and compiled with STMCubeIde 1.14.0. It works.

Then, I replaced the Hall sensors with a TLI5012BE1000 absolute encoder (A/B interface with 0-index). I did the wiring and checked with the oscilloscope that it was correct (A, B, and Z signals as per ST documentation). Through motor pilot, I can see that the speed value is being read. I used the tachometer in the GUI to verify that the rotation direction of the encoder was the same as the motor (the encoder is mounted on a development board and I can communicate with it via USB). I made sure that the steps per revolution matched between the encoder and the Workbench configuration.

Unfortunately, the motor does not turn. From the oscilloscope, I see that all the motor phases PWMs are the same, and as a result, it is stuck. According to the documentation, there should be an initial phase where there is supposed to be alignment of encoder and motor, but it seems this phase does not start.

I used the encoder as the main sensor, but if I add an observer as an auxiliary speed sensor, the motor remains still, but occasionally it starts and runs away (from the oscilloscope, I see that the phases are just out of phase and not modulated, so it runs away).

What could be the problem?

1 REPLY 1
giova_
Associate II

Hello!

Any suggestion?

Thanks,