cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know of an example of STM32H735G-DK with STLinux running on it ?

CBOZO.1
Associate II

7 REPLIES 7
Guillaume K
ST Employee

It is not possible to run Linux on STM32 MCUs (micro-controllers). They don't have Memory Management Unit for virtual memory.

Some will say it's possible to use specific Linux versions for microcontrollers but it's not "standard" Linux.

To run Linux there are STM32 MPUs (STM32MP1) .

CBOZO.1
Associate II

Thank you Guillaume for this feedback.

I tested sucessfully STLinux on STM32MP1 but sustainability of this board over time is not guaranteed so I am looking for an STM32 board (not discovery one) able to host Linux for ST internal application.

As @Guillaume K​ said, you can actually only run uCLinux on Cortex-M, but this doesn't give a real Linux feeling even with the currently fastest Cortex-M7 because of the constant external RAM accesses. The only thing that makes sense for Linux is a CPU such as the STM32MP1.

By the way, the STM32MP1 are part of the product longevity program, were extended again this January according to the rolling commitment and will be available for at least the next 10 years - the current supply situation can be easily circumvented by ordering veeeeery long term with foresight.

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best under your preferred answer. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
CBOZO.1
Associate II

Thanks for feedback, in fact the problem will be totally solved when I have proven that the solutions work as easily on STM32 than on current RaspPI4 platforms. 😉

You are trying to solve the problem in a wrong way. There is a significant difference between Cortex-M and Cortex-A. Running Linux or any OS with a virtual memory is sane only on Cortex-A. And developing a software for a small MCU or a desktop class OS is significantly different. Therefore it cannot be "as easily", because one has to write low-level code and know how a computer actually works underneath.

CBOZO.1
Associate II

You are right, I am confused to use the only available board STM32MP157A-DK1 or STM32MP157C-DK2 that are Discovery board.