cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between ST-LINK/V2-1 and ST-LINK/V2

Posted on April 14, 2016 at 07:51

What is the difference between, ST-LINK/V2-1 and ST-LINK/V2?

Which one is on the STM32F4 Discovery?

Which firmware am I supposed to use to update the ST-LINK ????? on the STM32F4 Discovery?
15 REPLIES 15
Posted on April 14, 2016 at 16:45

Thanks. This answered most of my questions.

> The V2-1 firmware is designed in such a way that he can also run on V2-A and V2-B boards.

This is the key information I believe. Given they are barely distinguishable from the user point of view, I personally would mark those two variants as V2-1-A and V2-1-B - it's messy I admit, but as it is now is a mess too, anyway 😉

> Few words about the version naming: J (for JTAG) is for the STM32 debug interface version; S (for Swim) is for the STM8 debug interface version; M (for mass storage) regroup the VCP and mass storage firmware version.

> For instance, STM32 discovery boards based on ST-Link/V2 (without mass storage + VCP) have version in the form V2J27S0, the ones based on V2-1 with mass storage and VCP V2J27M15.

This is a nice snippet of information. So, the ST-Link/V2 are capable of STM8 programming, aren't they. That makes the older, non-mbed DISCO boards, a quite valuable asset...

> We are thinking about how presenting this more clearly. But the difficulty is to make simple the things that are not 😉

An appnote? Or, even better, within renewed Technical Updates...

Btw., why is there no link to the relevant support boards (EVAL, DISCO, NUCLEO) on the particular devices' folder pages in the new web? Is this an intention or an overlook?

JW

Posted on April 14, 2016 at 17:05

I did not activate an alert on this discussion and I am getting emails for every single STM32 forum posting, non-stop, including your response, just now. Every time I wish to make a new entry, such as this response, I always have to log in every time as well.

The dialog box to enter a response gives me five lines of 80 character text. Is there a configuration to change this as well?

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on April 14, 2016 at 17:07

Hi waclawek.jan,

To answer your question ''why is there no link to the relevant support boards (EVAL, DISCO, NUCLEO) on the particular devices' folder pages in the new web? Is this an intention or an overlook?''

In a device page, look at the section ''Tools and Software'' then the tab ''EVALUATION TOOLS''. You will find there the boards you are looking for. [The content needs a clean-up, I will report this internally].

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on April 14, 2016 at 17:18

Hi Mayla,

Uh, indeed. Not easy to find.

Please forward my rant to the web designers: the page is several kilometers long anyway, why is this one particular item hidden under a tab? I suggest to unroll those three tabs. They even can't be found by textual search in the browser, until you click on the particular tab.

Thanks,

Jan

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on April 14, 2016 at 17:28

Jan,

Could you please log your comments regarding the new web [DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32Java/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32Java/Severe%20issues%20with%20the%20new%20ST%20website&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D758000F9A0E3A95BA69146A17C2E80209ADC21&TopicsView=https%3a//my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32Java/AllItems.aspx&currentviews=68]here?

We want to keep them in the same discussion; easier to find this way.

Thanks.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on April 15, 2016 at 03:43

I thank everyone for their input in answering my question. I created the following document to summarize what I have learned.

The V2 uses the STM32F103C8xx chip and V2-1 uses the STM32F103CBxx chip. I only superficially looked at a few schematics to figure this out, so it may not be the case with all STM boards.

ST-Link InformationST-Link InformationST-Link/V2- STM32F103C8xx ST-Link/V2-A ST-Link/V2-B ST-Link/V2-1- STM32F103CBxx ST-Link/V2-1 Upgrade Process

·

in-circuit debugger/programmer for the STM8 and STM32 microcontroller families

·

STM8 SWIM interface

·

STM32 JTAG, Serial Wire Debugging (SWD) and Serial Wire Viewer (SWV)ST-Link/V2- STM32F103C8xx ST-Link/V2-A ST-Link/V2-B ST-Link/V2-1- STM32F103CBxx ST-Link/V2-1 Upgrade Process

·

Similar functionality to ST-Link/V2-1

o

This variation created for board designs prior to mbedST-Link/V2- STM32F103C8xx ST-Link/V2-A ST-Link/V2-B ST-Link/V2-1- STM32F103CBxx ST-Link/V2-1 Upgrade Process

·

Similar functionality to ST-Link/V2-1

o

This variation created for board designs prior to mbedST-Link/V2- STM32F103C8xx ST-Link/V2-A ST-Link/V2-B ST-Link/V2-1- STM32F103CBxx ST-Link/V2-1 Upgrade Process

·

in-circuit debugger/programmer for the STM32 microcontroller families

·

USB software re-enumeration

·

USB power management request for more than 100 mA power on USB

·

USB Mass Storage Support (MSC)

·

Virtual Serial Port (VCP)

·

Minimum supported application voltage limited to 3 VST-Link/V2- STM32F103C8xx ST-Link/V2-A ST-Link/V2-B ST-Link/V2-1- STM32F103CBxx ST-Link/V2-1 Upgrade Process

During the upgrade process, ST-Link upgrade firmware makes the appropriate choice of ST-Link/V2 or ST-Link/V2-1 and flashes the correct variation.

Version naming nomenclature follows, J (for JTAG) is for the STM32 debug interface version; S (for Swim) is for the STM8 debug interface version; M (for mass storage) regroup the VCP and mass storage firmware version. For instance, STM32 discovery boards based on ST-Link/V2 (without mass storage + VCP) have version in the form V2J27S0, the ones based on V2-1 with mass storage and VCP V2J27M15.