cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX / STM32L476 / NAND Flash

MNesd.1
Associate

I'm trying to experiment with a NAND flash connected to a STM32L476VG and I'm using CubeMX to set everything up. No matter what I do, I cannot get CubeMX to show me a NAND flash as an option for the FMC. The options are LCD, Muxed NOR and Muxed PSRAM.

Am I doing something wrong? AN4761 states that the STM32L476VG can be connected to a NAND flash, but for some reason CubeMX won't allow me to select it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

The LQFP100 lacks the PG9/FMC_NCE pin which is needed for NAND flash.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CubeMX represents a finite universe of choices, the hardware can do more, but there is perhaps not boiler-plate code to manifest an end-to-end solution at the press of a button.

I don't recall if any given part has a NAND READY/NWAIT pin, or how much of the bus is exported. You'd need to walk the Reference Manual and Data Sheet to double check.

Parallel NAND flash needs a handful of Address bits, and 8 or 16-bit Data bits depending on the devices chosen. Some read/write lines, and a chip-select. Then a lot of software to manage, buffer, and deblock the large NAND sectors, and also handle the wear-leveling and ECC. Requirements are probably closest to that of an LCD.

Parallel NAND Flash is a bit of an evolutionary dead-end, most people needing mass storage are using eMMC, or looking at QSPI NAND Flash in lower densities (1Gb)

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
TDK
Guru

The LQFP100 lacks the PG9/FMC_NCE pin which is needed for NAND flash.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you. I suspected I was missing something simple such as an interface pin but I couldn't find it on my own.

Cheers,