cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a professional Firmware update scheme for STM32

tam
Associate

I'm working with a commercial-grade food-service product that uses the STM32L073 in conjunction with an android tablet connected over UART or Bluetooth. For our next-gen product, we're investigating methods to economically implement firmware updates on a fleet of a few thousand units. The one major factor is that we have limited resources (one part-time firmware developer with no filesystem or bootloader experience, along with a part-time electrical engineer), so maximizing implementation speed is key. We have the following options we are exploring for firmware updates:

1. Currently the only method implemented to perform firmware updates is using a ST-Link Programmer. Our issues with this setup is that:

• requires the user open up the product
  • requires the user plug the ST link onto the pcb (electrically risky)
  • Requires a laptop
  • ST-Link can be lost
  • anyone can flash unofficial firmware

2. Switch to an STM32WB:

• Seems to require either a laptop or phone with the propriety ST app
  • Requires porting firmware/pcb to STM32WB

3. Switch to Golioth IoT Platform (replace the ST board)

• Requires porting code to new platform
  • Requires fleet management
  • Expensive

4. Flash Drive:

• Requires bootloader / file system implementation for which I've struggled to find examples. Presumably requires a significant amount of development time.

5. SD card:

• Requires bootloader / file system implementation for which I've struggled to find examples.
  • SD card readers are less common than usb ports.

Which of these 4 options would you recommend committing to for this next generation product, and what resources can I refer to help understand the implementation? Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@waclawek.jan That's the point. I believed too that sellers of such modules have all formalities settled, but, as always, better check this with a lawyer ((  For food delivery it may pass easily.