cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicker2 Clock Config (Newbie Errors I'm Sure)

CoachTacamo
Associate III

Greetings, 

I have purchased a Clicker2 from MikroElectronica mainly because it has the facility to host their Click Boards ecosystem while working with the STM32CubeIDE. I can't say that I am a fan of their abstracted SDKs and code that is too dissimilar to that of HAL and so on. The issue I am having is with the clock configurations.

The Clicker2 features a 25 Mhz Oscillator that I am certain is for the HSE and also features a 32.768 KHz oscillator that I am certain was meant for the LSE. Leaving all the specs as factory as possible (using the the internal oscillators) in CubeIDE I can get code to work as expected. However, I would like to set the MCU at 168 Mhz (not sure that makes any difference yet).

As an expeirment, I used the 168 Mhz settings in the native MikroElectronica IDEs (which seems to set HSI instead of HSE) and it all works. But they do a really good jobs of abstraction and therefore I can not ascertain how they set it all up.

Here's my attempted settings in the CubeIDE:

I2C2: I2C (Facilitates the MikroBus 2 position)

I2C3: I2C (Facilitates the MikroBus 1 position) (Conflicts with RCC MCO1 on PA8 when enabled)

RCC HSE: Crystal/Ceramic Resonator

RCC LSE: Crystal/Ceramic Resonator

RCC MCO1: Checked

RCC MCO2: Checked

CoachTacamo_0-1690301098868.png

No matter what I do, I am missing something and I can't get it to run on 168 MHz as it does in the native MikroElectronica IDEs. I have tried bypassing HSE, Using HSI instead at /16 all to no avail. Would anyone be willing to guide me to a solution?

Cheers,

13 REPLIES 13

I have started a whole new project for sanity and did everything possible to ensure that SDIO is not enabled or mentioned anywhere in the code/IOC files. I set the device up once again using the 25MHz oscillator and the needed factors for a clock of 168MHz and still not working. Hmmm...

Hello

I guess there is nothing wrong in your ioc- file.

Could you give more information how know its not running, or is it running with HSE crystal if you decrease freq from 168 Mhz to lower.

How you load your program to MCU, are you using mikrobootloader with works with some custom USB-HID bootloader ?

Br J.T

@JTP1 ,

As mentioned I have not yet received my ST LINK device so there is currently no way for me to debug this board. I make changes to the code or IOC file, build and manually upload each time using the MikroE HID Bootloader. I put in the LED toggles in various parts of the code so I can count the number of flashes after an operation to attempt to know if the board is running. I have do this because there is also no UART interface provided by MikroE. So when I set the board to 168MHz, I get no blinks on LEDs at all... It remains static...

CoachTacamo
Associate III

I wanted to drop an update in here for any that may stumble on this in the future. My STLINKv3 Set came in yesterday. The cable sets that ship with the device don't match the pin pitch on the Clicker2 board and therefore will need some small adapter PCB made. That's not terrible news. Just takes a little effort.

Interestingly enough, one of the cables that ship with the STLINKv3 kit DOES fit my Fusion for ARM v8 from MikroElectronica! I have been able to write code in the native STM32CubeIDE and upload to the very expensive development platform without using the company's very expensive (licensed) and proprietary IDE (MikroC for ARM).

This is good news for me as I care more about learning to develop for STM32 in the native HAL and LL. I have never been a fan of how abstracted the MikroE stuff is because it adds a layer of deciphering with Datasheets and their libraries. The flip side of this though, is that I have had to read their libraries for the various Click add-ons and see how they use them and further research various datasheets. This equates to a lot of work still but at least it's resulting in deeper learning.

I have only barely scratched the surface of all there is to learn.