cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't start MCU on Nucleo-H563ZI when powering through E5V

continuum
Associate II

I have Nucleo-H563ZI board and I'm trying to power it through external 5V source (E5V). When I connect the 5V power source and set PWR SEL jumper (JP2) to E5V, I can see the power LED (LD5) light up and even the ethernet controller seems to be active. But the firmware on MCU does not seem to start until I power on the on-board ST-Link through USB. After that, I can disconnect the USB and it still works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ONadr.1
Senior III

For Nucleo boards, the MCO from the debugger is used as the clock source for main MCu. Try to configure the MCu for an internal oscillator or place a crystal and auxiliary capacitors to the MCu and select the External Crystal as the clock source. The problem can also be a slow start of the clock and then the program jumps into some error routine, that also needs to be treated.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Foued_KH
ST Employee

Hello @continuum , 

Please try measuring the voltage and current at the input of the Nucleo-H563ZI board using a multimeter to see if it matches the specifications.

KHALSI_Foued_0-1690462646569.png

Check also, 

KHALSI_Foued_1-1690462740947.png

Foued

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I checked the voltage at E5V pin and at the PWR SEL jumper, both measure stable 5.04 V. The voltage at JP4 and JP5 measure 3.3 V.

I wrote a simple program that toggles two LED (LD1 and LD2 on board) alternately. When I connect E5V, the current at the input is ~67mA but no LED is switched on. After connecting STLink through USB port, the current at E5V jumps to ~92mA and the LEDs start switching. After disconnecting STLink, the current goes down to ~65mA, the LEDs stop switching but the last switched LED stays on so it definitely is powered using E5V input. 

Bob S
Principal

See if there is a solder jumper on the NRST signal between the on-board STLink and the CPU.  On some of the Nucelo-144 boards (F429 and F746) I had to remove that zero ohm resistor (SB111) in order for the CPU to run when powered from the USB port (with a USB wall power supply, not a real PC USB port).  That may also be the case for E5V power.

ONadr.1
Senior III

For Nucleo boards, the MCO from the debugger is used as the clock source for main MCu. Try to configure the MCu for an internal oscillator or place a crystal and auxiliary capacitors to the MCu and select the External Crystal as the clock source. The problem can also be a slow start of the clock and then the program jumps into some error routine, that also needs to be treated.

You are right, after configuring MCu to use the internal oscillator (HSI), the program started to work without needing to power on the on-board debugger. 

I was a little bit confused as the crystal (X3) and the capacitors (C69 and C70) are already placed on the board so I assumed the default CubeMX configuration would use them. Studying the user manual I realized that's not the case.

After switching SB49 Off, SB3 On, SB4 On and selecting Crystal/Ceramic Resonator as HSE source I was able to use the on-board 25MHz resonator.