cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use CAN bus for both communication and upload firmware ? if possible how can i do that?

Vu.Tran
Associate

I am building an CAN system which includes sensor modules and actuator modules. There is 1 center MCU which control/communicate with all modules via can bus. I also want to update firmware for each module from that center MCU through CAN bus. Which hardware components i need for each module and is there any instruction or guide or example for doing that both hardware design and software design.

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

CAN is just a communication channel - of course you can use it to transfer your update data.

Having transferred the data, you will then have to program it into the microcontroller's flash - which is entirely independent of how you transported the data.

ST have several Application Notes on doing this; search for IAP - short for In-Application Programming ...

Vu.Tran
Associate

Thank you so much. "Program it into the microcontroller's flash" How can i do that. Can you explain me more about this. About the hardware design, do i need to put anymore component comparing to the normal build

Again: ST have several Application Notes on doing this; search for IAP - short for In-Application Programming ...