cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding STM32 for new product designs?

BenRegal
Associate

Is it reasonable to consider using an STM32 for new product designs. Can't find any official statements of if and when any microcontroller will be available through official channels/distributors.

4 REPLIES 4
gbm
Lead III

Considering the current market situation, it is reasonable to avoid using at least any microcontrollers and power management ICs (regulators & switches) for product development, or, better yet, do not develop or make any products using semiconductors. 😉

Yeah! Develop software!

TDK
Guru

If someone knew the answer to that, they would post it. Presumably it'll be sometime after people stop stockpiling chips in bulk with massive leadtimes.

It's not that chips are not being made, it's that they're being sold way before they're even produced.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
PHryn
Associate III

Don't wait for a statement. Check reality.

Just a while ago I checked farnell and for stm32f line they can offer TWO ST parts (STM32F072) from I guess thousand stm32f variants from ST linecard.

I moved with a new project to RP2040. More than 100k on stock, 0.82 Euro per piece.

ST should move from multiplying uc variants and instead concentrate on availability of parts.

Not to mention cmake building environment for RP2040. 

RP2040 is not a solution for every case, I know, but at least it is available, bargain price, good documentation and it is more than capable in most cases.